News:

Main Menu

Plan-G has stopped working ..

Started by martinlest, August 18, 2013, 09:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinlest

I have lost count of the number of times I have had this error message. Today, for instance, all was fine, I was flying FSX with Plan-G on a second monitor for an hour or so, (Plan-G has been working with no errors the past dozen flights or so). Then I paused the sim and put the PC into standby for a while. When I came back Plan-G started to give this error message and close down. No change to the PC other than starting it up again. I rebooted, but Plan-G brings up the same error message about 15 seconds after it connects to FSX. If I don't connect to FS, or FS is not running, the programme doesn't abort. My FS Connection is set to auto, IPv6 mode.

When this happens I have to reinstall Plan-G. And then (so far) it works again for a few dozen flights before it starts aborting again.. Can anyone help (though I know the 'analysis' is rather vague? What else can I say? The programme stops working without me making any software changes to my PC at all). I append the error message this time, but I am not sure if this is always the same, or even if it's helpful: these error reports are often red herrings, I know. I hope someone can kindly offer some advice, as I rely on the programme in FSX!

I am running v2.0.5  - I installed v.3 but went back to this version as I really, really missed the hybrid map. Windows 7 x64 ...

I won't reinstall Plan-G for now, in case anyone has some troubleshooting ideas...

Thanks,

Martin

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:   plang.exe
  Problem Signature 02:   2.0.5.493
  Problem Signature 03:   4d836f53
  Problem Signature 04:   mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05:   4.0.0.0
  Problem Signature 06:   517a1c71
  Problem Signature 07:   3fde
  Problem Signature 08:   105
  Problem Signature 09:   System.IO.DirectoryNotFound
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

aujeffk

same problem here.  Started about 2 months ago.  Only fix is to uninstall, but it's not worth it because it only works a time or two and then I get the same error message on startup.

tim arnot

Directory not found is a pretty specific error. Can you identify what you were doing when it crashed, and can you identify what folder it was looking for?

Tim. @TimArnot

martinlest

Hi. I was flying FSX, with Plan-G running on my second monitor. I'm afraid I couldn't say which folder the programme was looking for. How would I identify it?

aujeffk

Quote from: tim arnot on August 19, 2013, 09:18:40 AM
Directory not found is a pretty specific error. Can you identify what you were doing when it crashed, and can you identify what folder it was looking for?

I can't start mine as is says, "Plan-G has stopped working" seconds after I click the icon button to start the program.

tim arnot

Quote from: aujeffk on August 21, 2013, 03:51:15 AM

I can't start mine as is says, "Plan-G has stopped working" seconds after I click the icon button to start the program.

Different problem. You need you check you have the correct version of DotNet - 4.0 properly installed.

Tim. @TimArnot

martinlest

.... and my problem Tim? I have .NET framework up to date. Plan-G is a great bit of software and it's really frustrating to have it fail so often like this. If I reinstall, can I do so over the top of my existing installation, to keep my settings? Or (they are backed up), as that may not rectify the problem, how do I restore my current preferences if I make a clean installation?

And how is the best way to troubleshoot this if (er, when) it happens again? Are there any log files I can upload that would help? Are my connection settings OK (auto, IPv6 mode) - as I say, Plan-G only aborts 15 seconds or so (never immediately) after I connect to FSX (or FS9)

Thanks.

aujeffk

I have .net 4.0 properly installed.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help.  I really miss not being able to run the software...planning flights just isn't the same without it!

Quote from: tim arnot on August 21, 2013, 09:03:43 AM
Quote from: aujeffk on August 21, 2013, 03:51:15 AM

Different problem. You need you check you have the correct version of DotNet - 4.0 properly installed.

aujeffk

Problem Solved:

I had dotnet 4.5 installed...I uninstalled, and put 4.0 back on.

aujeffk

Now it has stopped working again!  ugh...I wish I knew how to fix this...I really like to plan flights with Plan-G.

martinlest

I know this is freeware and so no one really has the right to complain (and I am not). But it's disappointing not to get any help on this issue. I don't want to give up using PlanG, it's really great, but if it keeps 'self-destructing' like this... No one who was involved in designing this got any further ideas?   ???

tim arnot

The only other thing I can suggest is turning off things that write periodically to your hard drive, such as weather downloads. Without being able to identify the folder that is "not found", anything is just a stab in the dark.

Tim. @TimArnot

martinlest

Now my moving user a/c 'gets stuck' during flights. At the beginning it's OK and updates every 5" as I have programmed. Then nothing for 20" or so; sometimes the user a/c icon just dies, moving no more.

You said Tim that troubleshooting errors this is a 'stab in the dark'. Does PlanG create no log files which might give someone an idea why it seems so unstable? I am loath to replace PlanG, 'cos when it's working I couldn't think of how it could be better!

M

tim arnot

The somewhat buggy third-party library that handles Simconnect does not have logging capability.

It's on my to-do list to write a new Simconnect library from scratch (then I can at least fix problems with it), but it'll take a while.

Tim. @TimArnot