News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

How to Share Plan G data over network?

Started by Timmy74, August 24, 2013, 10:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmy74

Hi Guys.

Please first let me congratulate you on such a fantastic product.  I can not live without Plan G now.

Now for my situation....  I have two computers which are connected (network) to each other.  The main one is  used for FSX ( I will call COMP-A), and the other one (COMP-B), I have Plan G on. This is so that I can use two screens with out interrupting my main FSX screen.  These two work great with each other and Plan G does not skip a beat....   I also have Plan G installed on COMP-A too and it is all up to date with all of my add on sceneries and the such.   

eg: I downloaded and installed Aerosoft's Maldives last night and rebuilt the data base on COMP-A and all the relevant information is on COMP-A's Plan G.  But when I go to "Build Database" on COMP-B's Plan G it does not work.

However, my question is how do I go about getting the most current and up to date data (COMP-A Plan G) onto my second machine (COMP-B Plan G)??  I have tried numerous file locations but I just can not seem to get it to work?

Does this make sense?   

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tim... 

Paul K

Build the data base on Comp A and then simply copy it across to Comp B.  Thats what I always do.

Timmy74

Thank you Paul.

Would you be so kind as to write down step by step that procedure please?  Because I have tried every file location to get it to work?  Clearly there is something I am not doing right and would like know where I am going wrong.

Thank you very much.

Tim..

Paul K

Assuming you are using Windows 7, do a search, using Windows Explorer, for a folder called Plan-G Files on both your FSX computer and the laptop. It should be in the ' My Documents' folder on each machine. All the data you need is in the Plan-G Files folder. Simply copy and paste the Plan-G Files folder from the FSX computer to its corresponding location on the laptop, merging the folder if prompted. Simple as that. No matter if you are using Vista or whatever - it's still Plan-G Files you need to look for and copy across

There is a great utility called SyncToy by Microsoft, which I use. It synchronizes pair of folders both on the same computer and across a network, so any changes I make to the contents of Plan-G Files on my FSX computer is then sent across to my laptop at the press of a button.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Timmy74

Hello Paul,

Thank you kindly for your procedure.  However, my computer can not find Plan-G Files anywhere when I type into the search bar?

I will have a crack at the link you posted and see if I can get it to work that way....  If not I will just have to live with what I have got.

Thank you for all of your help.

Tim...

tim arnot

The databases are stored in My Documents \ Plan-G Files \Data. Copy the whole folder to the same place on Comp B, and you'll be golden. :)

Tim. @TimArnot

Paul K

@Timmy74, if you have Windows 7, this is where you'll find it. Its in My Documents anyway...

@Tim Arnot...I don't suppose Plan-g Files could be a hidden folder on Timmy74's system, could it ?

tim arnot

It's not created as a hidden folder, so no I wouldn't think so.

Tim. @TimArnot

Timmy74

Hi Guys,

Thank you again for your help but I do not have Plan-G Files in "My Documents" folder....

I can not find Plan-G Files anywhere?

Kind regards.

Tim...

tim arnot

Is this on the "A" computer or the "B" computer? Could you have deleted the folder accidentally? (It's automatically created by Plan-G, so you just need to run the program again to create a new one. Or you can copy the entire folder across from the other one.)

If you run Plan-G and save or open a flight plan, it defaults to Plan-G Files. You should be able to see the path to it in the open file dialog.

Tim. @TimArnot

Paul K

Timmy74, as Tim Arnot says, Plan-G Files is created when you install Plan G, so you must have it somewhere. Where else would your database be ?  Run the installer again - its got to be there.

tim arnot

No need to run the installer - just run the program - it will find it or create it.

Tim. @TimArnot

Timmy74

Hi Guys,

I run the Plan G program all the time but can not find this Plan-G Files?

The screen shot I posted earlier Tim was that of Computer A.   Computer A is the one that has all of the up to date entries due to having FSX on this machine.... I guess?

Cheers.

Tim...

spokes2112

Tim,

Make sure you are running the newest version ( http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/ )  . IIRC the older versions kept Plan-G files in the programs (Plan-G) folder.

You also may have a problem with your WIN7 libraries where they may of been changed mid use.

Check the following locations too -
C:\Users\Public\Documents
C:\Users\"User Name"\Documents

Roman