News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Reinstalling Plan-G v2 & v3 problems - RESOLVED

Started by OldAirmail, September 06, 2013, 12:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldAirmail

Reinstalling Plan-G v2 & v3 problems

Plan-G v2.0.5 crashing at the end of building the database, resolved.
Plan-G  v3 crashing on initial startup, resolved.

Long story - running the update checker on a new program (REX Essential PLUS with OverDrive) crashed, and a lot of programs on my computer started to have problems. I was pretty sure that it messed up my .net framework files. I re-installed the .net framework 4 files and everything looked ok.

Everything BUT Plan-G v2 & v3. After trying a bunch of stuff (sorry to get technical, but it can't be helped) I was somewhat certain that it was either running into a problem with the .net framework files, or possibly with another newly installed program - FTX Global.

I even downloaded a program from MS that was designed to repair .net framework files. NO LUCK.

So I uninstalled FTX Global and FSX, AGAIN. >:(

After re-installing ONLY FSX I tried to install Plan-G v2. NO JOY. Crashed on database building. The same problem with v3. CRASH  :(

The next step was to un-install the .net framework files. That might be a bit harder than you may think. Finally I had to downloaded a .net framework removal program from Microsoft.

NOTE - .net framework is essential to a large number of programs. If you uninstall it, you can expect problems.

The program (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool) is a restricted program on MS, but you can download it from c|net. I had it uninstall ALL versions of .net.

My download came from MS and worked to perfection. If the c|net version doesn't work you'll need to know a MCP or MCSE to get it from the MS site.

If you do decide to use this program, let it run until it says that it's done. This took a LONG time (well, 3 to 5 minutes anyway. Maybe longer.).

After removal I restarted my computer. A video card monitoring program flashed a warning that I was missing an important/critical file. But Windows 7 Pro started up with no other problems.

NEXT STEP - I intentionally DID NOT install .net framework 4.

When you go to install Plan-G v2 it will check for .net 4 and let you start the .net instillation. Just let it pick out the version of .net for you. Plan-G v3 will select a .net framework 4.5 download. (Even it you don't intend to use Plan-G v3, go through the process so that you'll have a version of .net framework 4.5 that it needs. You do need .net framework 4.5 anyway.)

After restarting my computer this time there were no error messages.

After the two Plan-G versions went through their database building they worked without any problems.

While searching this site for solutions, I saw a number of people with problems that may be related to .net framework. Hopefully this'll help.

tim arnot

Thanks. If this helps other people I'll sticky it.

One small comment, DotNet 4.5 will not run on XP, so if you are still using Windows XP, the installer should give you DotNet 4.0.3

Tim. @TimArnot

OldAirmail

I've just made a small donation in appreciation for your hard work. It's not what you deserve, but it's what I can give at this time.

Until I lost the use of Plan-G, I hadn't realized how much I had come to depend on it.

For whatever good it may do - The problem with Plan-G crashing has been resolved.

Thank you, and good luck.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot