News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan-G Performance

Started by WLIX261, December 07, 2013, 05:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLIX261

Thank you for the Plan-G Software.
I am new to the application and so far I like it quite a lot.

I installed versiĆ³n 3.0.7.71 on a networked PC, this way:
Plan-G PC was installed the secondary PC (Lenovo T410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Mhz 8GB RAM 450GB SSD Win7-64).
FSX is installed in the primary PC (CyberPowerPC Hasswell i7 4770K OC 4.5 MHz 16GB RAM 500GB SSD Win7-64).
I configured port 4505 with IpV4 protocol by adding it to the existing simconnect.xml file I was already using.
I also added all the tile files available from www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo to the \DEM directory in the Plan-G directoy in myDocuments.

I tested the installation on a VFR flight programmed by my VA with a flight plan located here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105861640/Internacional/Canada/IF%20Baff%20Springbank%20to%20Invermere.plg
Whilst everything worked well, the performance (time responding to clicks on the sccreen with the mouse) by the Plan-G application was quite slow. From 2 to 5 seconds or more; often showing a 'not responding' temporary indication.
Since I had set originally my aircraft to refresh in the screen each 1 second (5 times faster tan the 5 seconds default), I thought that was the reason. I changed it to 2 seconds but the performance did not improve noticeably. After disconnecting from FSX I had an improvement but the performance with this flight plan was not as I hoped.
Any ideas?

Alvaro Escorcia - VA AirHispania

tim arnot

What zoom level? What part of the world? How much detail was being shown in the Plan-G window - number of airports visible, airspaces etc? Did you try decluttering/reducing the number of overlays?

Tim. @TimArnot

WLIX261

(1) Zoom started at 7 then zoomed in to 12
(2) Calgary and Banf, Canada (CYBW and CYBA)
(3) I only had 2 and then only 1 airports visible. Not too much else visible that one would call over filled with things to display
I tried with and without checking the boxes P and M under Home/Bookmarks.
The performance was so low the sys became almost ususable.

Then I decided to start from scratch, closing the flight, closing AS2012 weather, and starting a new flight in FSX and then bringing up again Plan-G.
The performance was up again quite good. Then I loadde the same flight plan again and everything went smooth.

The cause of the problem coulod have been too much historic data kept active in FSX, because I had done the flight 3 times without ending the flight in FSX and all of that under the same connected session with Plan-G. Since this was a 143 nm flight, at the end I had data from almost 450nm piled up in FSX and persistent in the link with Plan-G (I remember seing the trail plot of the 3 flights on top of  the Plan-G map).

Or, maybe this wasn't the problem... who knows..

Regards
Alvaro Escorcia