News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

No online traffic in Plan-G

Started by mikegogs, November 27, 2009, 01:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikegogs

I can´t figure out a reason for this & would appreciate suggestions:

I run FS9 under WindowsXP on my main PC and Plan-G (0.8.1.389) on a networked laptop with Vista.  Connection is via FSUIPC/WideFS.  Online traffic is visible on the FS machine.  On the laptop, Plan-G connects, shows my a/c, collects weather, but does not show the online traffic.

The options to display traffic in the air/on the ground are both ticked, range is OK.  The log reflects the successful FSUIPC connection.

What am I missing?  ???

tim arnot

What refresh rate? FSUIPC can be quite slow at pulling AI back, so it can take a few cycles for them all to initially show.

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

It´s aircraft I´m looking for, not cycles  ;D

Refresh rate for Plan-G AI is 10 secs and I sat watching 2 a/c in FS for about 15 mins today, without them displaying in Plan-G, although my position was shown, and weather updates were coming through.  During the CI event the other night (admittedly with the previous build), not a single a/c was displayed the whole evening.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Apols for my ignorance, but what is Traffic Explorer?  Searched this forum, Plan-G manual, Googled it, looked all over Plan-G and its directory, and I still don´t know......

tim arnot

It's part of the SDK - tells you everything you never wanted to know about AI traffic, and more.

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

Traffic Explorer shows number of aircraft as 4 (at the top of the window), but only lists the details of mine.  At the same time, another online a/c is visible 200 feet away.  Out of curiosity, I ran Plan-G on my FS machine, and the traffic does not display in that config either.

My first question remains - what am I missing?

I´m not sure why I´m tugging at this particular bit of string - just hate a mystery, I guess!

parksy

Thank you for this AMAZING contribution to the community  8)

...similar issue here...no traffic info or mapping while connected to vatsim...everything else works great !!

Vista64
FSX SP2

running Plan-G and FSX on same machine

Version 0.8.1.389

cheers
Greg

parksy

+++++ SOLVED +++++

downloaded and installed latest FSUIPC V4.53 then changed connection parameter to FSUIPC in Plan-G

cheers

Greg

mikegogs

Well done, Parksy, happy flying!

My problem is a little different as the connection with Plan-G is clearly present - I get the weather, the instruments, my own aircraft, but not other traffic, although I see them in FS.  It´s strange that only those parameters appear not to be reaching Plan-G - why would that be?

Although I know that it´s not necessary to configure FSUIPC for Plan-G, I´ve gone through all the settings anyway, just to exclude them completely.  There may be some mileage from FSUIPC´s logging capability, but I´ll have to consult the manual first. 

As I get the same results whether Plan-G is running on a network machine or the same PC as FS, I´ve excluded anything to do with the network or WideClient, and, as FS is correctly displaying other traffic, I´ve pretty well excluded FS as well, unless there is a rogue .dll that blocks the export of traffic data (but what could that be and why would that be desirable?).

Even though I don´t use Plan-G online as a moving map/traffic avoidance tool, I´d still like to get to the bottom of this in case anyone else has the same issue.

Any suggestions?

mhl

mikegogs

I reported the same problem in a separate thread which I strted just over a week ago (http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=228.0), and several of my regular online flying contacts have confirmed they have the same issue.  I believe it is related to the version of Plan-G - like you, I cannot see online traffic with 0.8.1.389, but online traffic is visible with the earlier version 0.8.0.380.

I'm not sure whether Tim sees this as a significant  problem in relation to his other priorities for the development of Plan-G.  I am happy using the 380 version.

tim arnot

It's on the list. All the tests I have done here have the MP AI  showing up, which makes it difficult to pinpoint. Hence I'm waiting for the Traffic Explorer results to come in.

Tim. @TimArnot

mikegogs

QuoteI cannot see online traffic with 0.8.1.389, but online traffic is visible with the earlier version 0.8.0.380.

I did not have traffic with build 380 either, but did no testing with that build.  My latest testing has produced more oddities, depending on configuration:

1.  With my normal setup of FS on one PC, SB and Plan-G on another, other a/c are visible in FS, but not in Plan-G.

2.  With FS, SB, Plan-G all running on the same machine there are no other a/c visible in FS, but they are shown in Plan-G.

3.  With FS and Plan-G on the same machine, SB on the other, I get the same result as 1. above.

In all cases, I'm referring to online traffic, not AI, by the way.

I'm now part way through uninstalling/reinstalling SB on both machines to see if this has an effect. 

mikegogs

After a reinstall of SB, there's no change to the results.  Perhaps there may be some clues in the attached screenshot - meanwhile, back to my real job for now!

mikegogs

Bump - in the hope that anyone has any suggestions, or spots something in the screenshot with my last post.  As you can tell, I've had no more ideas  :(