Like to import an airspace from OpenAir data - but how to do it?

Started by X-Friese, February 16, 2014, 01:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-Friese

I'm developing for X-Plane and only use X-Plane to fly VFR online in VATSIM. As all MSFS data is missing on my computer, Plan-G offers no airspace functions in it's map.

The airspace can be imported, but I didn't know the format. Can I import from OpenAir format text files, like the files from this website?

http://www.daec.de/fachbereiche/luftraum-flugbetrieb/luftraumdaten/

If I try to export, the file has no data (not a surprise), but this mean, I can't reverse-engineer the right format to write a converter script.

It would be nice to have up to date airspace info.  :)

Can you please tell me the right data format or post an example file to discover?

tim arnot

Plan-G doesn't currently support OpenAir format files, although it sounds like a worthwhile addition for a future version.

The current export/import functionality just takes airspace built from the FSX db and  allows it to be used in the X-Plane db.

Tim. @TimArnot

X-Friese

In the meantime, I got an export from FSX and took a look into the csv file. But as I didn't know the meaning of all the numbers in it, I can't write a converter script (hoped I can handle it with a little Python code).

So I will have to wait and polling OpenAir import as a highly wanted feature to be integrated into a next version of your wonderful free tool.  :)

tim arnot

It won't make 3.1, cos that's locked down and in the final stages of QA. But certainly the one after...

Tim. @TimArnot

Jaggo

Is there any progress or tendency in this wanted feature?

JessicaLampe

From my side the same question again:
Did you know, when it will be possible to import the "OpenAir format text files" for the airspace information?

It is already possible to define/use this format in X-Plane/GPS ,,X-Plane 10\Resources\GNS430\airspaces\usa.txt"

Regards,
Jessi

tim arnot

I'm in the process of changing jobs at the moment, so everything is on the back burner, and I can't really give an estimate. But I haven't forgotten about it.

Tim. @TimArnot

JessicaLampe

Ok, I will wait for this feature in your great software!  ;) :D

I have an additional question/feature request:
Is it possible to integrate/show also the "Traffic Circuit" for VFR flights?

Here is the file of the German Traffic Circuits f.e.:
http://www.vlflugzeuge.de/Dateien/Platzrunden.txt

That would be great!!!  :)

tim arnot

If you download the beta from the x-plane thread immediately below this, there's a partial implementation. It's still buggy, but it will load OpenAir files - drop them into the X-Plane 10\Resources\GNS430\airspaces\ folder and rebuild the X-Plane database. There's no interface yet for loading them separately. (if you don't have X-Plane, you'd need to build a fake installation)

Tim. @TimArnot

JessicaLampe

Hi Tim, thank you!

I copied the files in the "X-Plane 10\Custom Data\GNS430\airspaces" folder. But I have to change the Platzrunden.txt, because there are some special characters which X-Plane don't like ;-) If someone has a complete changed file, please let me know.

Where is the download link of the Plan-G Beta? I found/installed only the final build version v3.1.2.101

tim arnot

Like I said, it was in the next thread down from this one. It's moved slightly since (3rd thread currently) cos other people have posted.

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3161.msg15613#msg15613

Tim. @TimArnot

guest29729

Hi.
I have downloaded Polish airspaces from http://soaringweb.org/Airspace/PL/08_JAN_2015_Polska.txt (OpenAir).
I have replaced some non-ASCII characters with valid equivalents. My version of this file is attached to this post.

This file is successfully loaded by X-Plane 10.41 and airspaces are shown on the GNS430/530 GPS very well.
Plan-G can build navigation database but exits when I try to work with it. I cann't find any log file. All I found is entry in the Event Log with information about System.NullReferenceException.
My repeatable failure scenario is: I center map over Warsaw at zoom level 10. Next I turn on display X-Plane data. It takes a while. ICAO Airspace radio is checked already. I change zoom level to 9 and error is here. Plan-G exits. I use Plan-G 3.1.3.133.

Full stacktrace copied from EventLog is attached in txt file.

Update:
I think that I have found something useful. The problem exists when airspace have many DP coordinates. Concrete airspace in attached file that makes troubles is UTMA EPKK certainly. Part of the south Polish border is also a border of that airspace. I have reduced amount of the coordinates. I've recalculated them to deg:min only then I've deleted repeatable neighbouring corrdinates. And it works but it does not look nice when zoomed in.

tim arnot

Thanks, I'll look into it. The log file is found in My Documents\Plan-G Files.

Tim. @TimArnot

guest29729

Thanks. Now I see the log file :)
I have repeat my scenario once again. After that I have checked the log file. There is nothing special in it. No errors ar any warnings.
The one thing that surprise me is some entries about sims I don't use. But in effect connection string uses X-Plane database, then I think it doesn't matter.

I tried to get the log file as small as possible to avoid noisy informations. I attach the log file.