News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

VOR QDM Range and Bearing not displaying

Started by coastalguy, February 24, 2014, 01:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalguy

I am trying to intersect VOR radials, getting the distance and bearing from a VOR to an intersection of another. After right clicking on a VOR and clicking on the QDM Range and Bearing, I am able to extend a red line from the VOR to where my mouse cursor is. What I would like to do, first is "set" the red line so that it stays on the map, and second, display the bearing and distance of the red line from the VOR. At the bottom is a bar showing lat, long, heading along with other options. However when moving the red line around, from the VOR, only the lattitude and longitude displays, with all of the other options remaining blank. Is there a way to activate the other options on the bottom bar, or at least display the bearing and distance of the red line from the VOR, as the QDM Rand and Bearing selection seems to indicate??

domkle

coastalguy

I have since found another posting, advising the bearing and distance is in the information window, thanks. I was also wondering if it was possible to "set" the red line, along with "setting" additional red lines to remain displayed on the map as radials and radial intersections? I print off the map to use for subsequent flights between the same airports, and it would be great to have these radials printed also.

tim arnot

"Show Radial" would appear to do exactly that. :)

Tim. @TimArnot

coastalguy

Tim,

It does exactly that. Sorry I missed that on the tutorial.
Regards and great product.

coastalguy

Regarding your response to use show radials, note that to begin, I do not know the actual radial degrees in order to enter in the show radials, radial and distance. So, to obtain the radial and distance I want, I first use your QDM Range and Bearing option along with the information box to first determine the degrees and distance of the radial line that I want.

Then, using this information, I then entered it into the show radial to produce the permanent red radial on the map.

This worked fine, however what I found was that using the radial/distance shown using the QDM information and entering it into the show radial, that the 2 radials were apart by a considerable number of degrees. Is it possible that one uses true and the other magnetic or is there a setting where I can produce an exact match of the degrees between the QDM and show radial options? I have attached a printout of the difference between them (Kinston NC VOR).

tim arnot

It's because there's a 4 degree difference in the magnetic variation of the VOR compared to the surrounding countryside. QDM works between arbitrary points, so it uses the area magvar, hence the difference.

I've modified 3.1 so that QDM will detect if it starts from a navaid, and override the ambient value, but be aware that if your start point is "off VOR", there will still be a difference.

Tim. @TimArnot