News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan G and X plane 10

Started by StevePilot, February 26, 2014, 01:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevePilot

Hi, I've only just joined so if this question has been answered before.. sorry..

I've downloaded Plan G and ready to start .. but when I click on the Build Navigation Database button only FSX is available.. the others, including XPlane, is in the background and not available to click to start the build.. what should I do?

Thanks

steve

w9nwrwi

Hello Steve,

When you go to the Build Database  window and select Settings, do you have the X-Plane block pointing to your X-plane root directory?
Such as;    C:\Users\yourname\Desktop\X-Plane 10.
I am assuming your OS of Windows.

Chuck
Computer:
CPU:i7-6700 4.0GHz, Ram:32GB,  Video.Card: GTX 1070 8Gb, OS:Win 10, 3ea 24" HDMI Widescreen.
X-Plane 11

StevePilot

Hi Chuck

Thanks for your reply....

I saw the Xplane browse button so which file do I click the browse button to?  I go to desktop/xplane.. then where?  Is there a file I should open it up with within the xplane folder?

cheers

Steve

ps yes windows 7

w9nwrwi

Hi Steve,

Let me see if I can properly type out a procedure here for you.

From the Plan G tab select Data. The Build Navigation Database.

From the new window select Settings and then select Browse (the X-plane line). Find your X-Plane10 root directory, the one that says X-Plane 10 and select that, then the xplane.exe, then hit Open.

That should put the following in your X-plane box. (this is mine but you will get the idea):   C:\Users\Charles\Desktop\X-Plane 10 .  Then select OK.

Go back to the Build Navigation Database window, put a check mark in Build X-plane Database and hit ok and another window should open and the data start to build.
Takes may 5 or 10 minutes.

Let us know if you are successful..

Chuck

Computer:
CPU:i7-6700 4.0GHz, Ram:32GB,  Video.Card: GTX 1070 8Gb, OS:Win 10, 3ea 24" HDMI Widescreen.
X-Plane 11

StevePilot

Chuck.. you're a star!! 8)
It worked.. you know what I was doing wrong...I was clicking on the xplane folder and not knowing where to go from there.. I should have, and now have, clicked on the xplane logo file within the folder (is that the root file?).

Now its all downloaded correctly!

Cheers Chuck!!

Steve

w9nwrwi

Hey good deal Steve,
Glad you got it going!  Yeah that first initial directory is called the root directory, where everything starts.  I am by no means an expert, I usually search the manual and then try my best and of course learn by my mistakes.

Have been working with the WED (airport design/update tool) on updating airports for X-plane for the Global Airport input to x-plane site. That is a hoot, talk about making mistakes and a learning curve!

so, enjoy the plan-G, its a great piece of software.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here, Tim the author and his sidekicks will help you out. Sometimes he is not always available so it may take a little bit of time, but he does his best.  I think he has a new update in the wings, just awaiting some Quality Assurance work.

Regards,
Chuck

Computer:
X-Plane 11

StevePilot

Chuck...

I've been looking at building airports on xplane myself.. there are quite a few over here in the UK that aren't really covered in xplane very well.  It looks like fun to build them close to the real airports... something you can't do in fsx, although fsx does have a lot of professional addons that xplane doesn't.

I want to be able to show off xplane as best I can with realistic looking videos on youtube in the hope more and more people will buy it and more third party companies will get involved.  sometimes xplane can look a bit 'toy townish', if you know what I mean, with box buildings... but I've just built a new high end gaming PC so, once I get going and learn more and more about how to make xplane look as realistic as possible (and I've had great fun finding addons and plugins that really help), I want to start making videos to really show it off to its full potential...though it might take time for me to really get the hang of it. (Watching realistic looking videos on youtube was what got me into FSX in the first place). Plus my corsair psu is playing up just one week after installing it (and corsair aren't the fastest company to get back to you and help you) and my Saitek yoke is faulty so that needs replacing also.. oh the joys of building such machines!!!!  :-\

w9nwrwi

Sounds like your well on your way Steve. 
Before I forget, I meant to tell you yesterday that within the Plan-G Data Base build you should also set your "Additional Scenery Locations."

That entry point is in your Database Build Options window, where you put the X-Plane 10 directory pointer. Just hit the ADD button in the bottom of the window. Within the X-plane 10 directory find the Custom Scenery directory, mouse click one time on it and then hit the OK button.

Rerun the database build.

Now when you mouse over a airport in Plan-G, right click on it and select "show airport diagram." Any changes made to the airport layout will show up.

Chuck

Computer:
X-Plane 11

StevePilot

Hi Chuck..

Excellent.. thank you.. all done!  Now I know where I'm going when I'm flying!

Steve ;D

StevePilot

Sorry Chuck...

I did a flight plan then pressed to connect to xplane while I had xplane running in the background but it wont connect?

Steve

Birdy.dma

I assume XPUIPC is in the plugin folder with the right server adress in the XPUIPC.ini (127.0.0.1 or your lan IP).

Then read here:  http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2453.0

Also work with Win 7.

Claude.

StevePilot

Thank you.. I got it to work.. but may I ask a couple of questions..

I downloaded the file XPUIPC and then put my computers IP address in the XPUIPC.ini.  But every time I start up XPlane I get an error message saying my IP is wrong and that no NIC was found for that address.  Why would that be?  Even though I now have plan G working so it must be picking it up ok.

Also, in the XPUIPC.ini file there is a load of information regarding ATC, Lufthansa and 737.  what is that for?

Thanks

Steve

w9nwrwi

Hi Steve,

regarding the NIC address; Mine would just pop up random for no rhyme or reason.  Anyway, to fix that error msg:

Windows 7, go to Start in your lower tab far left, the Windows symbol. Below where it says search program and files, type CMD.EXE, when CMD.EXE comes up open it up.
Another window comes up (black background), at the flashing cursor type   IPCONFIG.  Black background window opens and what your looking for is the PV4 address.
write that number down.

This address is what goes in your XPUIPC.ini file, just edit it with Notepad or some txt editor.  The number replaces the one that is now in Server address.
Do not forget to save.  BTW, this procedure is in your XPUIPC readmefirst.txt file.... :)

I highly recommend that you printout the XPUIPC readmefirst.txt file, write down the procedure I told you above. I can almost guarantee that you will need it again.

Regarding the other items, ATC, etc.  XPUIPC performs many functions that make Xplane available to other programs other than Plan-G. These are just functions for that I believe.

Chuck

Computer:
X-Plane 11

StevePilot

Hi Chuck...

Thanks!  All sorted now!!

I read the 'readmefirst' over and over again but couldn't work out where I was going wrong.  Clearly I was using the gateway number rather than the IPv4 number and that has made all the difference.   :D  I will get the hang of computers one day!!! Promise!!   :-[

Cheers Chuck and Claude!!

Steve

Birdy.dma

No problem, it's my pleasure.

If your are in DHCP mode, your address may change. So, 127.0.0.1 (localhost) is always a valid address. This is tru if you run Plan-G and X-Plane on the same computer.

Claude.