News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Wind direction and speed

Started by Rijkinbeeld, March 08, 2014, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rijkinbeeld

Hello,

Many thanks for this great software, been using it for almost a week now.
And haven`t touched my Fs Commander.
One question:
The black service box containing wind direction and speed, where is it coming from?
Because when I press shift z within my sim I get a different read out (it is not updating as fast as the sim does) and it differs between each other with five to ten degrees. So Iam curious what it is I am seeing.
I am used with FS commander those data are synchronized between each other.

Many thanks Joep...
Although I have read about it...Ivao integration would be the bomb...
Don`t understand really why they don`t give permission fscommander has it, Into the sky app has it...so why not plan-g I have even found this software on their forum, because everyone likes it.

tim arnot

The wind info comes directly from the sim, although it's only updated on a slower cycle - every few seconds, from memory. They should certainly be generally in line, even if it misses the occasional gust.

Ivao is very explicit: no use of their data without written permission. When I asked, I didn't get a reply to my emails. So, no integration.

Tim. @TimArnot

Rijkinbeeld

Strange, today I was flying for 15 minutes  with a constant wind of 328/15kt while plan-g showed 317/15kt.
I have the feeling it shows the wind from the startpoint rather then the actual wind at the aircrafts position.
Is this right?

tim arnot

No, it's the aircraft's current position. I did a 2 hour flight this morning, and watchd the wind like a hawk the whole time - Plan-G matched the FS display the whole time.

Tim. @TimArnot

Rijkinbeeld

Very strange. Perhaps it is because I am using prepar3d...
Fscommander does show the same wind and speed when connected

tim arnot

Maybe someone with both P3D and FSX could run a comparison? (please...)

Tim. @TimArnot

Rijkinbeeld

Found it!
Both Prepar3d and fscommander show Mag wind direction and Plan G shows True Wind.
Because when I am parked in south america, difference is round about 10 degrees,
parked in Innsbruck 2 degrees and parked in the Netherlands 0 degrees difference.

tim arnot

That would make sense, and explains why I never spotted the difference. I'll look at it for 3.1.1.

Tim. @TimArnot

spokes2112

Winds from all WX stations as data are reported as TRUE.  Reports inside of FS/P3D are reported in MAG. A nice feature would be to have the Mag/Dev reported at all times. Maybe in the lower info section?

Roman

tim arnot

Yes but all winds given in ATIS and spoken voice transmissions are magnetic, so it's reasonable to regard the "instant" wind display as magnetic too, even though METARs and TAFs are always TRUE.

Tim. @TimArnot