News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan-G exe disappears

Started by LarryJ, November 28, 2009, 06:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryJ

I have Plan-G installed on a 2nd hard drive in my PC running XP.  I use FS9.

I started Plan-G and poked around it it a little, then shut it down to reinstall it on the 2nd drive.  When I went to start it again, the Plan-G.exe file wasn't there.  So, I copied the exe file from the distribution to the folder where I had the program.  I ran Plan-G, figured out how to build the data base, did so, and poked around in the program for a while trying to get a feel for what was there in the limited time I had available then.  I also put a short cut in my desktop flight sim folder.

Today, I was going to run it and clicked on the shortcut I had in my desktop folder.  It couldn't find the exe.  I went to the install folder and no Plan-G.exe file was there.

Am I doing something wrong?  It wouldn't be the first time.
Larry J

jschall

Larry, if I was you, I would completely uninstall Plan-G from BOTH drives using Add/Remove Programs  (Plan-G writes values to the Windows XP Registry and writes files to the Documents and Settings directory, so you want to remove EVERYTHING).

Then try re-installing in the preferred location.

Hope that helps!

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

LarryJ

Interesting, Plan-G doesn't show up in the Add/Remove Programs.

I will have to wait until I have a little more time now, I hate editing the registry.  I always feel I'm doing something wrong and I'm gonna screw the pooch.
Larry J

tim arnot

Plan-G does not have an "installer" and so there is no "uninstaller". Wherever you unzipped the download to, that's where it should be. The registry is only used for storing in-program settings -- window position, options etc. It holds no information concerning the location of the program.

First thing to do is check the file location and see if the program is still there. I suspect it may be your second hard drive starting a little slowly, and Windows not having all its connections in place (this can happen, particularly if it's a USB/external drive).

Tim. @TimArnot