Isn't the data for Aircraft Profiles buried in the aircraft file itself?

Started by akmatov, September 28, 2014, 04:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akmatov

I've spent my time on the iNet trying to find the data requested by the Plan-G Aircraft Profiles.  However, it occurs to me that real world data probably isn't what is needed.  Rather, what are the specs the author of the aircraft file embedded in his code.  If the author set the max altitude to 50,000', what does it matter that the real world aircraft can only make it to 15,000?

My real interest, is where in the file would I find the data and what would it look like?

FlyingAxx

I think it's more complex. Some data you might find but the aircraft's specs are rather hidden in the compiled *.air file. Even if there are tools outside being able to read the contend it doesn't help as the translations into the plan's reactions is done by FSX itself. It doesn't help you to know some drag coefficients or other specific values. The best (and probably only) way is to fly a t least a few prepared tests in order to find out the necessary data. Just clear your weather, look for an airport close to sea level, set your temperature to 15°C, climb to the plane's service level probably with a couple of different weights. MTOW might be sufficient as it stands for the worst case under standard conditions and if you would plan your descent in a way that you are meeting your specified maximum landing weight you're done.
Regards,
Axel

akmatov

That was helpful.  I had thought it would be specificly stated somewhere, even if not obvious.  My home base is KMRY at 257' ASL.  One of the main bits of data I was looking for was range for flight planning, about which I can get several bits of data from the Fuel Planner page in the Flight1 GTN 750 I just got.

FlyingAxx

This sounds like"advanced GA" flying rather than the big irons. Usually you wouldn't go to the limits in this case. I think a few flights would be fully sufficient in order to know how far you can go. You could try to get orientation by the published performance data regarding the standard climb ability. After arriving the ceiling level you could stop the simulator for checking the consumed fuel. The same way you could try to interpolate the fuel consumption for level flights (1/4 hrs should be sufficient for a rough estimation). Descent is more tricky as there a different ways to dive. I don't think that all GA planes are well documented in this respect. So you might dive probably as fast as you can without increasing the airspeed (which is likely wrong for "slippery" planes like the B200 and definitely would not meet the profile of the Pilatus Porter where you could use the Beta range - probably you shouldn't).
Regards,
Axel

akmatov

You are quite right, not big iron.  I'm quite the newbie and am attracted to the GA with goodies - Eaglesoft Liberty XL2 and CR22GTS, Real Air Legacy, A2A Cherokee. Looking to eventually get into low end passengers/cargo with my own tiny air service via FS Captain and Cessna 208, PC-12 and TBM.  Watched a You-Tube about the Preflight on a bizjet, closed it after a minute in horror.

Thanks for the advice.  I actually have found some of the POHs and I'll do a few test flights to check out the flight model of my favorite/s.

tim arnot

The range of most GA light aircraft is typically 4 hours (distance will obviously vary according to wind conditions, altitude etc). That's certainly a good place to start for planning. Remember though that you should allow an hour of that for contingencies - weather diversion, holding etc, especially if you are flying IFR. So your effective range is 3 hours. Engine management - prop control, leaning etc is crucial to achieving that.

Many aircraft have a fuel flow gauge on the panel. In the sim this is probably pretty accurate (real world fuel usage is usually measured by seeing how much gas you must put in to get the tank back up to the starting level!) so you can configure the plane for the required phase of flight and note down the number (don't forget this is per engine in a twin).

Typically a GA single (Cessna, Piper etc) will cruise at between 8 & 11 USG/hr. High performance planes (Baron etc) may cruise at nearer 15 per engine. Approximate range at 8000ft in still wind - 400 nm for the smaller planes 600-800 for the "performance" planes, obviously subject to engine management (i.e. leaned for best economy rather than best performance)

Turbines are a different bucket of jet fuel, and your concerns are basically just "fuel required to get to cruise altitude" and "everything else". In FS it's simple - on the ground, open the fuel tab and note levels. Climb to cruise altitude. Open the fuel tab and note levels.  Do the same for 10 or 15 minutes flight at cruise and multiply the result by 6 or 4 to get a "per hour" figure.

Tim. @TimArnot