News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Proposal to extend some settings

Started by FlyingAxx, November 22, 2014, 10:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingAxx

Hi Tim,

In order to develop approaches for third party planes it would be helpful to show for all objects (where it makes sense, of course), including waypoints, the coordinates. It would be even better if the format could be chosen in the settings (I would prefer in most cases the decimal format as PMDG likes it this way), but not necessarily all the time. I think you should have them anyway somewhere in the background.

A second wish might be more complicated as it would be helpful if the decluttering could be overruled even beyond a certain zoom level (say 7 or 6). It's sometimes quite a challenge to plan a flight in areas having only a few airports like it happens when doing some island hopping in French Polynesia - or flying in Siberia. Yes, it can probably destabilize the app in crowded areas and a warning could be useful.
Regards,
Axel

spokes2112

Axel,

PlanG may already have what you're looking for. In the first proposal there are 2 ways to do this.
1 - Go into File|Options|Units|Latitude and Longitude Format and select decimal. From this point the lat/lon (in decimal w/ 5 decimal precision) will be shown in the bottom left part of the map wherever the mouse pointer is located.
2 - You could create the plan as needed then save it as PlanG. (*.plg) Open up the newly created PlanG file with a text/xml editor such as notepad. (*.plg files are essentially XML files) At the very top all the waypoints are listed in the <Station> tags with a default decimal format w/ precision up to 15 decimal places.

For your second proposal the decluttering can already be set to your own liking. In the Map tab there are 4 sections, Airports, Navaids, Airspace & User Waypoints. In each one of those sections in the lower right corner is a little box w/ an arrow, click that to open up the decluttering setting and adjust as needed.

For example, Sim Outhouse has just hosted a recreation of the October 1934 MacRobertson air race (80 yr anniversary) from Mildenhall (EGUN) to Essendon (YMEN). In the golden age class we were limited at best to NDB navigation only without autopilot steering or being connected to a moving map/GPS (pilots honor) .  Using PlanG I created the plan including the mandatory airfield stops. Many of these legs were over 1000 NM. From there I set the declutter to 4 so i could zoom out and pick the nearest/longest NDB range to the initial straight line path. Set my true airspeed in the plan and from there printed out the plan and used a watch & the adf receiver to get there.

I hope I understood your proposals correctly & hope this may help.

Roman         

FlyingAxx

Roman, I think you did understand correctly. I should have looked closer to all options, indeed. However, the idea first to complete a plan in order to get the coordinates in its saved file is not what I'm looking for. I rather thought about an extra line in the information window as this would enable a two application approach side by side having the visual representation on screen.
Regards,
Axel