News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

slight offset between FSX and Plan-g airports position

Started by gaab, December 18, 2014, 10:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaab

I have installed FTX Global Base + FTX Global Vector.

Since, I have noticed small offsets between FSX (see exemple - GPS view) and Plan-G, on a lot of small airports (tests made in Idaho area).

I have refreshed the NAV database after installation.
I have set up the Scenery directory to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

Must I add other directories (in additional scenery location) ?

Thanks

kneighbour

I have noticed the same thing with X-Plane 10.31. I think the one I saw had a bigger difference to the one shown here. I was lining up for an approach and if I had used Plan-G for alignment I would have landed way off in the bushes. And by way off, I mean a nm or 2. The funny thing was, as I got closer to the strip, the difference became less. When I touched down, the map was perfectly aligned.

I also noticed that on the 4th leg of one flight plan the aircraft on the map was quite a long way off the flight plan line drawn on the map. The other 3 legs were perfect. I had sent the flight plan to the FMS in X-Plane, and it was flying it perfectly, so it was the map that was out, not the aircraft position (I am guessing).

It is not a big thing. I suspect the maps more than anything. Will try with a different map and see how it goes.

tim arnot

The symbol will be at the defined reference coordinates for the airport, which may not correspond to any of the runways, depending on how the airport was modelled.

Tim. @TimArnot

FlyingAxx

Quote from: tim arnot on December 29, 2014, 01:57:06 PM
The symbol will be at the defined reference coordinates for the airport, which may not correspond to any of the runways, depending on how the airport was modelled.

You're right Tim. However the picture shows a kind of "double misalignment" as the aircraft symbol reflecting the actual position sits besides the mapped runway, too. As I shifted meanwhile a couple of hundred airports to their real position (even Google Earth can have some offsets in remote areas - why ever) I conversely can say that I didn't find such differences after updating Plan-G's database.

Unfortunately this just matches FSX and not X-Plane. Probably the OP's problem was rather caused by the differences between FSX original data and repositioned airports in FTX. I don't use the whole add-on family because of the claim for sole representation in their areas and the need to switch to and fro (just my 2 cents and nothing about the quality and usability of the products).
Regards,
Axel

tim arnot

I would suggest the maps are probably accurate and the sim is not. FS9 and FSX were notorious for having misaligned airports WRT the real world. I remember when we first started seeing photo scenery - the airport and its image often did not coincide, sometimes by a mile or more, and the runways frequently don't even have the same headings.

And remember too, the smaller the strip, the less accurate the data for it is likely to be - it may well even predate GPS and just be a man standing in a field with a $2 compass and a paper map.

I would suggest that if there's no photo scenery for the area, the developers of the addon may not have gone the extra step to make the airport map-accurate.

Tim. @TimArnot