News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Can't set location to: C:\Users\_________

Started by GDR1944, December 24, 2014, 09:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDR1944

Hello:
New 1st time Plan-Gv3.1.1 install.
Net work from XP-sys to Win7
No problems.
Installed newly uploaded FSX 3rd party airport.
Did a database build.
No new airport icon on map.
Apparently scenery.cfg address wrong.
Pointed setup to main FSX folder/scenery.cfg

Can't set location to: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
Folder shared on Win7 and I can see it on XP but cant open, says I need Administrative permission .

The short version how do I get XP  Administrative permission?
I tried to find answer on net but can't find a straight answer.

The Main Win7 FSX folder is shared and accessible on XP.
Thanks.

FlyingAxx

Quote from: GDR1944 on December 24, 2014, 09:53:08 AM
Hello:
New 1st time Plan-Gv3.1.1 install.
Net work from XP-sys to Win7
No problems.
Installed newly uploaded FSX 3rd party airport.
Did a database build.
No new airport icon on map.
Apparently scenery.cfg address wrong.
Pointed setup to main FSX folder/scenery.cfg

Can't set location to: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
Folder shared on Win7 and I can see it on XP but cant open, says I need Administrative permission .

The short version how do I get XP  Administrative permission?
I tried to find answer on net but can't find a straight answer.

The Main Win7 FSX folder is shared and accessible on XP.
Thanks.

• The correct path to your scenery.cfg would be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. You could try sharing this path, too. The file in your FSX main folder usually remains untouched.
  • If you have no admin rights on a XP system you need to ask the Administrator to give to you such rights. This is done via the user account management.

Regards,
Axel

GDR1944

QuoteIf you have no admin rights on a XP system you need to ask the Administrator to give to you such rights. This is done via the user account management.

If you have XP it would be nice if you will me know the exact location of this Administrator.

I didn't say I have NO adim rights.
I have several FSX appson my XP that communicate just fine with the FSX on my Win7.

FlyingAxx

You need to call the Control Panel and then double click on Users.

The way programs are communicating with FSX over a network can be quite different (FSUIPC, SimConnect, and probably Wide FS could also be mentioned). Probably you should read the documentation of Plan-G. There is a brief description about the settings. Furthermore the very first of the pinned threads in this Forum addresses you problem. However, even after knowing everything it might happen that you fail (even between two Win 7 installations). It has rather to do with a probably quick and dirty kind of programming of MS Aces in order to push the publishing of FSX.
Regards,
Axel

GDR1944

QuoteYou need to call the Control Panel and then double click on Users.
Do you mean "open" CP?
Ok I open CP and double click Users. ( been their done that many times) now what?

Owner(me)
Computer Administrator

FlyingAxx

If you are already administrator then there is something else I hardly can analyse remotely.
Regards,
Axel

spokes2112

There are known networking limitations when working from WinXP --> Win7, especially working with a "non PRO" release of XP. ( I get the same errors as you ) Using networking from WIN7 --> XP is OK, while networking from XP --> Win7 is a nightmare.  I have tried over and over to get this to work and finally gave up.  (using XP home) To keep from pulling the "rest" of my hair out I did this -

1. Install PlanG on both the XP and the WIN7 (FSX) machines. - Note... They are different versions of PlanG.
2. While FSX is closed run the database creator on the WIN7 (FSX) machine.
3. When database creation is done, "copy" the complete folder - USER\My Documents\Plan-G Files\Data from the WIN7 (FSX) machine and paste it over to the WinXP machine C:Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Plan-G Files merging the folder and overwriting all the files.

That's it. It will keep you from trying to make the networking work via security/permissions etc. which in my case only work for some folders (not FSX). Ref - http://www.old-photo.com/pages/networking-windows-xp-windows-7-problems.htm

GDR1944

QuoteInstall PlanG on both the XP and the WIN7 (FSX) machines. - Note... They are different versions of PlanG.

Thanks for the work around..With computers Im use to patting my head, rubbing my tummy while jumping up and down on one foot. :33:

Thanks to all other input I know you tried.
Old biker guy 70 and still ride.

GDR1944

Saving info to my FSX Posted Notebook file.
I can use to help someone else.

Spokes2112:
1. Install PlanG on both the XP and the WIN7 (FSX) machines. - Note... They are different versions of PlanG.
2. While FSX is closed run the database creator on the WIN7 (FSX) machine.
3. When database creation is done, "copy" the complete folder - USER\My Documents\Plan-G Files\Data from the WIN7 (FSX) machine and paste it over to the WinXP machine C:Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\Plan-G Files merging the folder and overwriting all the files.

Thanks to all. :bravo_2: