News:

Main Menu

Cannot Create FSX Database

Started by may433, February 28, 2015, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

may433

I have been using Plan-G for some time now with no problems whatsoever.  For various reasons I had to re-install Plan-G this morning and took the opportunity to download the latest version.  I uninstalled the previous version and deleted all reference to it on my PC (ie, deleting the folders which the uninstaller left behind).

I installed the latest version and noticed that the option to view FSX data was greyed out.  I opted to build the FSX database and set the location accordingly but when I clicked on the Build Database option it was completed in a nanosecond.  The view FSX data was still greyed out.

I then selected the option to build the FS9 database and this ran properly and created the database.

I tried the build the FSX database again but, again, with no success.

I then completely uninstalled the program again, deleting all reference to it and re-installed.

Still no option to view FSX data.  I then selected the option to build FSX database with no success and the relevant log file is enclosed.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to solve this problem.

Thank you.

may433

After some trial and error I have found a workaround.  I uninstalled everything and re-installed an old version (2.05.493).  I then created an FSX database.  Copied the created database to a safe location and ran the ClearAllSettings application.

I then re-installed v3 and copied the FSX database to the data folder in the new installation.  I changed the name of this file to PlanG3_FSX, started the program and everything now works as advertised on the tin.

However, it is only a workaround and not a solution.

tim arnot

You will likely run into difficulty doing that because there are major differences between v2 and v3 databases.

Did you not keep a copy of your old data? There is no need to destroy your user data between minor increments (or even to uninstall the old version - you can keep both running) - it just means you have to recreate exactly the same thing that you just deleted. In the *rare* event that there is a database format change, you will be warned in big writing all over the download page and forum.

We will need to determine why Plan-G does not create the database, and for that I must ask you to try the build and then upload the log file.

Tim. @TimArnot

may433

The relevant log file was uploaded with my opening post in this thread.  I would be grateful for your comments once you have studied it.  Thank you.

may433

I fear that the problem may lie with my PC.  I installed the latest version on my laptop and created the FSX database without a problem;'I have copied this database to my PC (they are mirrors of each other) and the program is working satisfactorily.  I shall investigate and report back if I find anything.

By the way, I can create the FS9 database on both my PC and laptop without a problem.

tim arnot

Quote from: may433 on March 01, 2015, 08:59:47 PM
The relevant log file was uploaded with my opening post in this thread.  I would be grateful for your comments once you have studied it.  Thank you.

That log doesn't contain a build attempt. which is why I asked for another one. :)

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Quote from: may433 on March 02, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
I fear that the problem may lie with my PC.  I installed the latest version on my laptop and created the FSX database without a problem;'I have copied this database to my PC (they are mirrors of each other) and the program is working satisfactorily.  I shall investigate and report back if I find anything.

By the way, I can create the FS9 database on both my PC and laptop without a problem.

If you can create one, you *should* (famous last words) be able to create the other -- it's the same code. The only difference is the name of the database and the location of the scenery.cfg. it would be worth checking that the location of the cfg file is correct in the Database Build Options dialog. It has been known to pick up the wrong one on occasion.

BTW, copying the databases from one machine to another is a perfectly valid tactic, and generally recommended if you're running Plan-G on a remote machine.

Tim. @TimArnot

may433

Tim,

I have carried out a complete re-install and tried to build the FSX database (with no success).  The log file extracted from C:\My Documents\Plan-G files is enclosed.

John

may433

Tim,

Your mention of the location of the scenery.cfg made me look again.  I re-read the log file and noticed it was looking for the scenery.cfg file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.  I pointed Plan-G to that location and, as I type, the database is being created.

Thank you for your patience.

John

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot