News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Plan-G. Toggle Map on/off hot key?

Started by Fozzer34, March 18, 2015, 09:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fozzer34

Hello Chums!.... :-*....!
Plan-G v3:
You can bet your boots its been covered before, but ever since my use of Plan-G v2 and v3, and a browse through the Manual, I have yet to find a "Hot Key", or define a Hot Key, to toggle the Map on and off (task bar) during flight, without having to release the flight controls to use the mouse?

Any ideas Chums, before I nose-dive into the ground, desperately trying to locate my run-away mouse at the last minute!

Paul.... ;D...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.

tim arnot

Do you mean Windows Minimize? (Windows-Down Arrow)

Tim. @TimArnot

Fozzer34

Hello Tim....

Actually, what I meant, does the Plan-G map have a "default hot-key", (F9 for example), or a user defined keyboard key, to toggle the Map Screen on and off to the Task Bar, to display the Cockpit only during flight, etc, without having to use the Mouse to; "minimise" the Map screen"?

...a quick dab at a single defined key on the keyboard, for the Map Screen only, rather than a frantic, last minute, grab for the Mouse!... :'(...!

Paul.... :)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.

dempsey

I run Windows 7 (64-bits) and I typically have X-Plane 10 running full screen and Plan-G in maximum window.

I use Alt-Tab to switch between the X-Plane, Plan-G and Desktop.

If you have more programs running then you can keep the Alt key down and you can continue tabbing to the desired program.

It take a little bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it is pretty fast.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

Fozzer34

Quote from: dempsey on March 22, 2015, 12:52:30 AM
I run Windows 7 (64-bits) and I typically have X-Plane 10 running full screen and Plan-G in maximum window.

I use Alt-Tab to switch between the X-Plane, Plan-G and Desktop.

If you have more programs running then you can keep the Alt key down and you can continue tabbing to the desired program.

It take a little bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it is pretty fast.

Ta, Dempsey!... :).....!

I'll give those suggestions a try.
I run FSX in Windows 8, 64-bit, Windowed Mode, which shows all my available additional programs (Maps, etc) in the Task bar, ready to access when required.
It seems a shame that Plan-G contains so many programmable options except the ability to; "define a user key/button" to toggle the map screen on and off, similar to; "FS Navigationair".... ;)....and; "FS Trampoline"... ;)....etc....!.... ;D....!

A quick dab at a single user defined keyboard key, or joystick button, whilst flying, to enable/disable the Windowed Plan-G Map screen on and off, exposing the Cockpit, etc, underneath.

When flying at very low level, following roads, rivers, etc I need to constantly switch between Cockpit and Map modes, and single key/button dabs is the quickest way to do it!

A quick dab is the way to go....trust me!.... :laugh:...!

Paul....General Aviation, low-level, scenery explorer.!.. 8)....!

tim arnot

Quote from: Fozzer34 on March 22, 2015, 08:54:06 AM
It seems a shame that Plan-G contains so many programmable options except the ability to; "define a user key/button" to toggle the map screen on and off, similar to; "FS Navigationair".... ;)....and; "FS Trampoline"... ;)....etc....!.... ;D....!

I'm not familiar with those, and a quick google yields nothing. Perhaps you could provide links?

Tim. @TimArnot

Fozzer34

I bet you know what they are, Tim... ;)...!
...which accounts for the "winks" after each mention...

http://fsnavigator.software.informer.com/

....now replaced by....

http://www.fstramp.com/

Plan-G serves my purpose now... :)....!

Paul.

tim arnot

I've just had a gander at the FSTramp page (seriously, first I knew of it). The thing about FSTramp, and FSNav of yore, is that they are plugins that run inside of FSX/FS9, and as such, they have a completely different set of rules to live by. You can give them hot heys because they are part of the FS Process. Plan-G isn't. It's entirely sim-agnostic (which is a good thing, because it isn't limited to just FSX or P3D or X-Plane etc. It doesn't even need a sim to be there at all), but you can't send it "hot keys" from inside a sim, because it isn't part of that sim.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fozzer34

Quote from: tim arnot on March 22, 2015, 05:18:45 PM
I've just had a gander at the FSTramp page (seriously, first I knew of it). The thing about FSTramp, and FSNav of yore, is that they are plugins that run inside of FSX/FS9, and as such, they have a completely different set of rules to live by. You can give them hot heys because they are part of the FS Process. Plan-G isn't. It's entirely sim-agnostic (which is a good thing, because it isn't limited to just FSX or P3D or X-Plane etc. It doesn't even need a sim to be there at all), but you can't send it "hot keys" from inside a sim, because it isn't part of that sim.

Hello Tim...!

Many thanks for your excellent, detailed difference between the two types of programs: Plan-G, and FS Navigator/FS Tramp!
Plan-G, stand-alone program; and FS Navigator/FS Tramp plug-ins!

I have taken "dempsey's" advice to use "Alt+Tab" to alternate between FSX and Plan-G Map whilst flying, Its just a shame that it requires the operation of two separate keys, (rather than one single hot-key as per FS Nav/FS Tramp).

FS Navigator was discontinued many years ago for FS 2002 and FS 2004. (I still use my registered version for my FS 2004. Saved on CD).
FS Tramp was/is the follow follow-up program for FSX, by the same Author!

I use a combination of Plan-G AND FS Tramp, for all my FSX and FS 2004 Flights!
A subtle difference between the two types on programs. Each has its own benefits!
Plan-G is excellent for my following of the various road systems in my Tours, with their road numbers!...(USA; Route 66, I5, I40, Highway 1, etc!).... :)...!

Many thanks again, for everyone who helped with my query!

Excellent. I love my Maps!

Paul..... 8)...!

johnbla

Paul
It can be done. I have a separate gaming keyboard with all my commands on it, eg vc, gear etc. You need HIDMacros to accomplish this.
I also have 2 hotkeys on this keyboard to toggle SLX and Plan G on and off.

Look at this website, it tells you how to do it.

http://lifehacker.com/5468862/create-a-shortcut-key-for-restoring-a-specific-window

John

Fozzer34

Quote from: johnbla on March 24, 2015, 11:06:31 PM
Paul
It can be done. I have a separate gaming keyboard with all my commands on it, eg vc, gear etc. You need HIDMacros to accomplish this.
I also have 2 hotkeys on this keyboard to toggle SLX and Plan G on and off.

Look at this website, it tells you how to do it.

http://lifehacker.com/5468862/create-a-shortcut-key-for-restoring-a-specific-window

John

Many thanks John!

http://lifehacker.com/316589/turn-any-action-into-a-keyboard-shortcut

...but the language looks a little bit more complicated that my cosy; "Sinclair BASIC"!.... :-[...!

..even more complicated than my Zilog Z80 Assembly language!... ;D...!

I must have a practice with your suggestion!.... ;)...!

Many thanks, again!

Paul....BEEP 10,5..... :)...!

dempsey

Paul,

After you have installed the AutoHotkey program you will have to copy the attached file (AutoHotkey.txt) into the same directory as the AutoHotkey.exe and then rename it to AutoHotkey.ahk.

NOTE:

• I am using Alt-` as the key (top left under the ~ or tilde), so you will have to choose your own key.
  • I am using X-System which is X-Plane, so you will have to put the window title of your simulator there.

Hope this helps; good luck.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151