News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Crashes of Plan-G

Started by FlyingAxx, March 25, 2015, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingAxx

Hello Tim,

I tried to verify my latest thoughts about Plan-G crashes and it really seams that it depends on the amount of complexity, e.g. the injected traffic. I'm participating on Aerosoft's Round The World and there was no, absolutely no crash while flying in fairly remote areas like Iceland, Greenland, Labrador (it survived even Glasgow before) but it crashed just before Montreal when reaching it and now again before arriving at Boston Logan.
Regards,
Axel

tim arnot

Interesting. Remind me, are you connected with FSUIPC or SimConnect? (the traffic handling is quite different)

Tim. @TimArnot

FlyingAxx

Quote from: tim arnot on March 26, 2015, 09:25:08 AM
Interesting. Remind me, are you connected with FSUIPC or SimConnect? (the traffic handling is quite different)

It's SimConnect, IPv4, localhost
I haven't tried for a while now a Pipe connection but found out that usually the IPv4 works quite stable (with exceptions). As far as I remember FSUIPC had shown a side effect, but I didn't log it and I forgot why I returned to SimConnect.  :-\

EDIT: Tim, I'm even not sure whether it is the traffic or the amount of objects - probably both. I'm flying usually quite complex aircraft, too (PMDG's NGX,  their JS41, the T7) and have to take care for the memory in use. Sometimes even the simulator stops responding till Plan-G disappears (it takes a few seconds). Probably it could be helpful if you could implement one day the possibility to filter the traffic of AI not only by movement and distance but as well by considering their flightlevel, like a simple (!) TCAS does. While flying low and slow the traffic at FL310 is quite irrelevant.
Regards,
Axel

tim arnot

Part of the problem is the Simconnect module - it's a 3rd party black box, and it's known to be buggy. But I don't have any source for it, and the only option is to write whole new module from scratch. I know I'll have to do it ultimately, but it's just psyching myself up and finding a big enough block of time...

Filtering the traffic on flight level sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it would impact this problem, since the filtering would need to be done within Plan-G.

Tim. @TimArnot

FlyingAxx

Hi Tim,

Probably there are other reasons for crashes anyway. As I said, I only experienced those when flying in busy areas. Actually, it even might be the graphics engine itself - I don't know. An indication for the latter could be a friend of mine (one of my online partners) who usually reports about tree to five crashes each 2-hrs-session. And it started to happen even with a fresh installed FSX, default aircraft only, no extra scenery and no extended AI traffic at all. It's somehow a mystery. For me, the Logs of Windows are telling me in most cases nothing specific while pointing towards Plan-G (sometimes in the context of .NET).

An other observation might be even more confusing: It happens sometimes that FSX is influenced as well. Once in a while the FSX picture (windowed on Screen 1) was freezing and it helped when closing Plan-G working on Screen 2 which stuck as well. My GPU is a GeForce 780GTX (ASUS) and it doesn't seem to be stressed at all (usually the CPU is).
Regards,
Axel

tim arnot

That's curious. My sessions are generally 2-3 hours and mostly multiplayer, and I rarely if ever see a crash.

Tim. @TimArnot

FlyingAxx

Quote from: tim arnot on March 31, 2015, 09:43:08 PM
That's curious. My sessions are generally 2-3 hours and mostly multiplayer, and I rarely if ever see a crash.

Hmm, today I had a flight between NYC and Washington DC with my PMDG JS41. It was planned IFR (PFPX, even if it doesn't know the bird). En route I wanted to check out what I was seeing out of my window and connected Plan-G. Well, I'd been in the vicinity of Baltimore Intl and the AI shown in Plan-G almost covered the map. Guess what happened? Yes, Plan-G crashed after about 15 minutes. It seems that it has lost some seconds before the connection to FSX as SimConnect appears again in the Log.
Regards,
Axel

Stanner

I installed Plan-g on Windows 7.  I had FSX running in the background when I was trying to set up the data base for FS9.  After a while my ENTIRE COMPUTER CRASHED!
I got the BLACK BOX.  When I rebooted I found that my entire FSX files had DISAPPEARD!  Totally Gone.  In Windows 7 PROGRAMS and FEATURES there was no listing
for Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX.
The only FSX folders remaining on my computer were the one where the flight plans are stored, and the other folder where the FSX.cfg file is located.
Questions:
1.  What could have caused this?
2.  I tried Win 7 reset to an earlier date.  No help.
     Is there any possibility of recovering FSX?  If so how?
3.  Has anyone had the Black Box experience with Plan-G?

Thanks.
Stanner

tim arnot

Sorry to hear about your crash, but I have no idea what caused it. I don't know of anything that can uninstall a program and remove all its files and folders - I've never even heard of such a thing happening.

My only real suggestion is to look through the Windows logs for the time of the crash and see if there's any pertinent information there.

Tim. @TimArnot

FlyingAxx

I agree with Tim - it's quite unlikely that a crash could cause other programs to disappear. It's more likely that you have deleted the wrong path unintentionally.
Regards,
Axel

FlyingAxx

Quote from: tim arnot on March 31, 2015, 09:43:08 PM

Something to try out: I killed Plan-G within a few seconds when building a flightplan supposed to look like this: EDDF - SEGU - NZAA - EDDF. When hitting "OK" it's done.
Regards,
Axel

tim arnot

I'll give it a try when I'm home.

Tim. @TimArnot

dempsey

I defined the plan that FlyingAxx provided and indeed on the OK Plan-G went belly up.

The event viewer (Windows 7 -- 64 bits) showed a .NET Runtime error. What I don't understand is that while I am using .NET 4.5.2 the exception indicates Framework Version 4.0.30319.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          13-Apr-2015 21:05:05
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Dempsey
Description:
Application: Plan-G3.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Window.set_DialogResult(System.Nullable`1<Boolean>)
   at Plan_G3.Views.FindAirportView.OKButton_Click(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at Plan_G3._Main.Main()

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-14T03:05:05.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>233070</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Dempsey</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: Plan-G3.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Window.set_DialogResult(System.Nullable`1&lt;Boolean&gt;)
   at Plan_G3.Views.FindAirportView.OKButton_Click(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at Plan_G3._Main.Main()
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

dempsey

When I created the plan NZAA -- SEGU and then OK,  the program also crashed.

The problem may have something to do with crossing the international date line.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

FlyingAxx

Quote from: dempsey on April 14, 2015, 04:49:26 AM
When I created the plan NZAA -- SEGU and then OK,  the program also crashed.

The problem may have something to do with crossing the international date line.

Usually it's not. I do have an active flight plan containing many legs that crosses the date line twice (in both directions) and it works without problems. I just tried out EDDF-NZAA-EIDW, provoking obviously a route via polar regions, and it loaded without a problem.

@Tim: It seems that Plan-G tries to load all objects after building the plan (e.g. EDDF-NZAA-SPIM-EDDM). I attached a picture what appeared on my screen. It still reacts but it takes a while - even if I zoomed in outside the track.

When changing the order to EDDF-SPIM-NZAA it freezes all of sudden. Washington-Auckland does the same, it might be direction depending and a function of the length (probably an overflow???).

EDIT: Now I've done some more tests and as it seems that starting a plan at South America's west coast the critical region is somewhere beyond Lon 166.12° (NWWW still works, but NZMO dosn't). Furthermore I created a plan from ANYN to SEGS (both close to the Equator), 6169 nm apart without a problem, but when replacing ANYN by NGTE Plan-G crashed. ANYN (Lat -0.55°, Lon 166.9°) to SENL worked, even with a user WP 20nm east of the starting point at Lon 167.2°, but crashed when adding this WP far closer to the Date Line and deleting the original starting point. It's somehow not clear what happens. It might have to do with the latest change (on my request) that suppresses the fake course lines we've had before when crossing the Date Line. Pure speculation, I'm afraid....
Regards,
Axel