News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

What am I doing wrong?

Started by ChrisR, August 27, 2015, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisR

Hello all, first post from me and hoping somebody can help me. Last night I downloaded Plan G3 to use with my copy of X-Plane 10 (64 Bit). It was the 3.2 version and the first thing I did was to try and build the database. After about 4 hours of waiting, and stuck on about a quarter of the green progress bar at the bottom of the window, I began to assume that there was something wrong, or that it had frozen. After a couple of attempts, getting the same results, I decided to uninstall the program. This morning I downloaded the beta 3.1.3 version. I installed it as per instructed, run as administrator, changed the program location and all that. Again, first thing I did was build the new database which seemed to work this time as it all ran through and completed. The problem I have now is that there doesn't appear to be any data in the program. I clicked on Quick Plan and tried to enter the ICAO codes of several airports, and it doesn't recognise a single one of them. Additionally, there are no VOR or NDB symbols on the map, there's just nothing there at all.

The only thing I can think of is that when I built the new database, I browsed to the wrong location? I pointed it to the X-Plane application file as that seemed to be the only file it would accept. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

tim arnot

Chris, can you please attach the log file from your build attempt? It's in My Documents\Plan-G Files. Thanks

Tim. @TimArnot

ChrisR

Hi Tim, thanks, here it is, file attached.

tim arnot

Okay, the first load shows the corrupt data error which is fixed by 3.1.3.

You seem to have two versions of the global airpot.dat files installed, which throws up many thousands of duplicate airport errors. I think that's the cause of the  problem. If you remove the other file, Plan-G should read good data.

Tim. @TimArnot

ChrisR

Thanks Tim. I did make several unsuccessful attempts to install better scenery, but none of them worked and I have no idea how to get rid of the files, so I might just have to uninstall the whole lot and start again from scratch. Pity as it took me all day to install X-Plane it's so huge. Thanks for your help anyway :)

tim arnot

The file that I think is conflicting is

\\CHRIS-PC\Users\Chris\Desktop\X-Plane 10\Custom Scenery\Global Airports\Earth nav data\apt.dat

just move that out of the way and try a rebuild - at least before you do something as drastic as a reinstall.

Tim. @TimArnot

ChrisR

Thanks Tim, it's ok, i've already done it, I uninstalled everything and started again and i'm happy to say that it's working now. There is a new problem though. I've created a flight plan and exported it to X-Plane, however the plan only registers on the GPS of certain planes and I usually fly the Cessna, but the flight plan won't open up in the Cessna's GPS, any ideas?

tim arnot

You're correct that planner support is not universal in X-Plane. No idea why they made that decision, or how to retrofit a working GPS. sorry.

Tim. @TimArnot

dempsey

ChrisR,

I mostly fly the standard Cessna 172 (X-Plane 10.40b11).

In Plan-G export your flight plan in .fms format, and store that file in /X-Plane 10/Output/FMS plans/

From the GNS430 go to the 2nd page of FPL. That will show all flight plans you have in  /X-Plane 10/Output/FMS plans/ and then select the one you want by highlighting it and ENT to select.

The GNS430 goes back to the 1st  NAV page with a direct to the 1st point of you flight plan. 1st page of FPL shows the complete flight plan.

This should work with all planes that have the new GNS430.

This does not work for the FMS of the Boeing 777. I have never tried it with the FMS of the Boeing 747-800.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

Birdy.dma

Also, rename the exported flight plan with a shorter name.

Something like XXXX-YYYY (ICAOs of departure and arrival).