News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Plan G on a non FS computer - will it work?

Started by Thomas Crisps, September 04, 2009, 09:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Crisps

Hi Tim,

Quick query. I want to run and use plan G on a laptop with windows vista and no FS version installed. I have copied the Plan G folder across from my main computer after the database was created so it has all the files. It seems to work fine, the only problem being creating User Waypoints. After right clickin and filling in all the data it says it cannot create it. Any Ideas?

Thomas

tim arnot

Please post your Plan-G_Log.txt file here, and I'll take a look. There's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Tim. @TimArnot

Thomas Crisps

Hi Tim,

This looks to still be the log from when i created the database on my FS PC. Despite running Plan G on my laptop, it doesn't seem to be putting a log file in there. Should i delete this log file from the Plan G folder after backing it up and see what happens? EDIT: Log e-mailed due to character length allowed on posts.

Thomas

tim arnot

Thanks Thomas. There's nothing shown in the log. Please describe exactly what happens, what data you typed, and the error you get

Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Thomas Crisps

Hi Tim,

I right click on the location where i want the user waypoint. Fill in a name. Lets say for example, i want to create a waypoint at the A31/A331 intersection just to the south of Farnborough. I right click. I type the name as A31, then fill in the mag VAR as 2, then click ok. It then tells me something along the lines of "i'm sorry i could not create the waypoint look at the log file for further details."

This procedure works fine on my FS pc.

Thomas

Thomas Crisps

Hi Tim,

A slight update.

At the moment my Plan G folder was in the Program Files folder. I copied it to a memory stick and ran the application off that - just created user way points absolutely fine. Little bit confused as to why it didn't like it in the first place.

Thomas

tim arnot

Are you using Vista or Win7? If so it's probably insufficient user access rights.

It's best to regard "Program Files" or "Program Files(x86)" as a no-go area, unless you know a program will never modify its own data.

Tim. @TimArnot