News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Plan-G installation with FSUIPC will not work

Started by jhkaye, November 14, 2015, 09:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhkaye

I recently had a hard drive failure on my flight sim computer and had to reinstall everything on a new hard drive.  The flight sim computer is running under Windows 7 Home Premium.  The computer I am trying to connect with is running Windows 10.  I am using FSUIPC, which worked perfectly before the hard drive failure.  I was able to create a new database by selecting //AURORA-PC\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games..., and am able to connect, but the map is somewhere in England, and the yellow airplane does not show up.  Tried reinstalling FSUIPC and Wide FS, which seemed to reinstall after I entered the license key info.  Tried uninstalling Plan-G and reinstalling but didn't work.  This was such a neat program when it worked!  What do you suggest?

Jim Kaye

tim arnot

Check your settings - is "Show user aircraft" ticked? Either tick it or press F6 to toggle.

Tim. @TimArnot

jhkaye

Back to trying to get Plan-G to work on my networked PC.  The problems I'm having are not due to selecting 'show user aircraft'.  Have tried using SimConnect IPv6 as well, using Port 4506, then using Port 4505.  Does not work.  Prefer to use FSUIPC, as it worked so well before the hard drive crash.  The following is from the most recent Plan-G log file:

18:43:52.7 Initiating FSUIPC/XPUIPC connection.
18:43:52.7 FSUIPC/XPUIPC.Connect
18:43:53.5 Connect: FSUIPC.FSUIPCException: FSUIPC Error #14: FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING. FSUIPC is not running.
   at FSUIPC.FSUIPCConnection.Open(Byte ClassInstance, FlightSim RequiredFlightSimVersion)
   at Plan_G3.Model.MyFSUIPC.Connect()
18:43:53.5 SetFSConnected: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Plan_G3.Model.MyFSUIPC.Disconnect()
   at Plan_G3.ViewModel.MainViewModel.SetFSConnected(Boolean value)

Would really appreciate some help getting this resolved.  It appears to be an FSUIPC issue.  Tried reinstalling FSUIPC,  but still cannot see my aircraft.  Was able to load a flight plan (KPSC to KYKM), but apparently this is related to FSUIPC error #14, whatever that is.  Maybe the FSUIPC forum would be the place to get help?

Jim Kaye

jhkaye

Went to the FSUIPC forum, did not see anything regarding FSUIPC error #14.  Peter Dawson will be unavailable until after December 5.

Back to Plan-G.  Tried to load again after reading where I might have to run Plan-G as administrator.  Did this.  It now says I have to create a database for FSX, and all the other options are grayed out.  I may have the wrong syntax for creating my FSX database.

Tried this: \\AURORA-PC\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X both for the FSX Program and for FSX Scenery.cfg.  Both the OK and Cancel boxes are then greyed out.

Then tried: \\AURORA-PC\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
for both, same result.

I think if I completely uninstall Plan-G and reinstall it I can get the options to come up under File so I can select FSUIPC, but will be back to the Error #14 failure again.  Very frustrating!!!

Jim Kaye

spokes2112

The best & easiest way to create a database for a networked setup is to -

1. Install Plan-G on the FS computer & create the database
2. Copy the newly created database over to the networked computer via network or USB flash drive etc.. Ref -http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3164.msg15573#msg15573

As for FSUIPC error #14, it is given - "FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING. FSUIPC is not running." Now if this error is on the networked PC from Plan-G it means that WideClient is running on the client computer but not connecting to the host FS computer and any one of these could be the problem.

1. Is both FSUIPC & WideFS registered? If not get them registered. (The FSUIPC dialog in FS will give that information) Ref - http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80527-registered-copy-fsuipc-not-recognised/
2. Is WideFS turned on in FSUIPC? If not, turn it on. It is an option!
3. Did you start WideClient on the client computer?  EDIT - You probably did, see below.
4. Is WideClient connecting to the to the FS computer? Look at the title bar in FS, it should say "WideClient connected" rather than "Waiting for connection". (Something like that)
5. Did you reinstall windows on the FS machine? If so there could be many possible things in the WideClient.ini that may be void now that windows has changed. (Blocked ports via firewall, IP addresses, Workgroup name etc...) See WideFS User Guide.pdf.

I just tested a scenario on my client computer -
Wide Client Running, not connected to FS gives error #14
Wide Client NOT Running, gives error #2 (not found) & #14

In a nutshell - WideClient is not connecting to FSUIPC on the host computer.

Hope this helps.
Roman

jhkaye

Thanks for your quick reply.  In answer to your questions - 1) Yes, both FSUIPC and WideFS are registered.  I had to confirm the registration info when reinstalling them on both the FS PC and the client PC.  2) WideFS is turned on in FSUIPC on the FS PC.  4) On the FS PC, when fsx is running, the top left screen reads "Microsoft Flight Simulator X with Wide Server: waiting for clients".  I assume this means WideFS is turned on.  When selecting FSUIPC Options and Settings under Add-ons it confirms both FSUIPC and WideFS are registered to me, and the only choice is "Disable WideFS".  5) I had to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium on the new hard drive, followed by FSX, updates to Windows 7, updates to FSX, all of my aircraft, all of my Orbx scenery, Active Sky Next, Plan-G, etc.  Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Seagate getting my new 4 TB hard drive set up correctly.  Due to limitations of my Alienware Aurora motherboard, could only use 2 TB for my new drive C, but with Seagate's help was able to set up 1.63 TB as drive H.  Plan-G works great on the flight sim computer.  The problem is getting Plan-G to work on the client PC as it did before the hard drive crash.

After installing Plan-G on the FS computer, I tried copying the database to a USB flash drive, but was not successful.  Will try that again, as I can't remember why it did not work.  Tried using IPv6, but that did not work.  Have not tried using IPv4 yet, but would really prefer to use FSUIPC.  I will read the WideFS User Guide.pdf and see if it has any useful info.

Jim Kaye

tim arnot

Roman has it pretty much in a nutshell. "Waiting for clients" in the FS title bar means WideClient is not connected.

One other thought: Are you running "as administrator"? I don't think is matters one way or the other, but everything has to be set the same - FS, Plan-G, FSUIPC, Wide Client, otherwise they won't talk to each other. Not totally sure that applies over a network, but there's no harm in checking.

Tim. @TimArnot

jhkaye

At your suggestion, I just tried 1) Starting FSX on the flight sim computer (Aurora) as administrator.  2)Started Wide FS on the client computer as administrator.  3)Started Plan-G on the client computer as administrator.  Was able to connect, but no yellow airplane...

Prior to this, used control panel to uninstall Plan-G, then reinstall it.  In Plan-G, the only not grayed out option was to create a database.  To do this, I had to use E:\Program Files (x86|Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X as the path, both for the FSX Program and for FSX Scenery.cfg.  Note - I had installed FSX on this client computer earlier.  Once I did this, which took awhile, I was able to select File, Options, FS Connection, and Connect with FSUIPC.

I left the FSX Computer settings as those I had tried when I tried using IPv6 (which did not work either), and left the Server Port Pipe at 4505 (also tried 4506).  Don't think the FSX Computer values and Port are relevant if using FUIPC to connect with the FSX computer.  The latest Plan-G log file info is:

14:17:57.3 Initiating FSUIPC/XPUIPC connection.
14:17:57.3 FSUIPC/XPUIPC.Connect
14:17:58.2 Connect: FSUIPC.FSUIPCException: FSUIPC Error #14: FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING. FSUIPC is not running.
   at FSUIPC.FSUIPCConnection.Open(Byte ClassInstance, FlightSim RequiredFlightSimVersion)
14:17:58.2 SetFSConnected: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Plan_G3.Model.MyFSUIPC.Disconnect()
   at Plan_G3.ViewModel.MainViewModel.SetFSConnected(Boolean value)
14:32:10.9 Build-DB cleanup lambda
14:32:10.9 IsDataLoaded: FSX
14:32:10.9 Data Source = C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf
14:32:10.9 IsDataLoaded: FS9
14:32:10.9 Data Source = C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FS9.sdf
14:32:11.0 IsDataLoaded: P3D
14:32:11.0 Data Source = C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_P3D.sdf
14:32:11.0 IsDataLoaded: XPlane
14:32:11.0 Data Source = C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_XPX.sdf
14:32:11.3 NdbsInBounds 3
14:32:11.4 VorsInBounds 1
14:32:11.8 AirportsInBounds 24
14:32:13.3 AirspaceInBounds 11
14:32:20.1 _Backstage_IsOpenChanged: True
14:32:32.5 DownloadCurrentMetars thread started
14:32:32.5 Metar21Z.TXT started
14:32:33.3 Metar22Z.TXT started
14:32:33.8 sTAF18Z.TXT started
14:32:34.2 sTAF18Z.TXT done
14:32:34.2 lTAF18Z.TXT started
14:32:34.8 sTAF12Z.TXT started
14:32:35.6 sTAF12Z.TXT done
14:32:35.6 lTAF12Z.TXT started
14:32:38.9 Metar21Z.TXT done
14:32:39.4 Metar22Z.TXT done
14:32:40.7 lTAF12Z.TXT done
14:32:40.9 lTAF18Z.TXT done
14:32:40.9 DownloadCurrentMetars done
14:32:43.3 ProcessMetars done

FSUIPC comes up in the Add_ons menu of FSX, so don't believe it can be selected separately to run as administrator.  Assume that if FSX is run as administrator then FSUIPC will also be running as administrator.

The most significant info in the log appears to be FSUIPC Error #14, saying: "FSUIPC_ERR_RUNNING. FSUIPC is not running.at FSUIPC.FSUIPCConnection".

Thanks for the help.  Sorry we haven't been successful so far.

Jim Kaye

jhkaye

Success!  I now have Plan-G displaying on my networked PC, including the yellow airplane and magenta line!  After reading the WideFS Guide, I made three changes - 1) changed the Workgroup on the flight sim computer to match that on the client computer 2) turned off the firewall on the client computer.  May figure out how to make exceptions for WideFS later 3)changed the Network Mode from IPv6 to IPv4.  Don't know why this change was needed, but as soon as I did so and pressed Connect, the yellow airplane came up, and the flight sim computer said "Microsoft Flight Simulator X with Wide Server 1 Connected".

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Jim Kaye

spokes2112

Excellent!  ;D  Glad you got it working again.

jhkaye

I was able to turn the firewall back on, and Plan-G still works fine.  Did not have to create any exceptions for the firewall.  Made a test flight from KSEA to KSFO in the Captain Sim 777 FedEx freighter.

Jim Kaye http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot