News:

Main Menu

What I would like to see and a little help

Started by ilovetofly, December 04, 2009, 04:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovetofly

I'm just starting to use Plan-G and am impressed with its' many functions.

What I would like to see formost is an easier method for adding a waypoint for creating SIDs and STARs. The method I tried is slow and tedious as I try to locate waypoints using a SID or STAR airport chart. This involves moving the mouse point and consantly changing the map magnification until I can locate the approximate Long/Lat point, then create the waypoint.

I see that I can move a waypoint by editing the coordinates in the Create Waypoint screen, but that requires a fairly long number. Now I don't know where to find that exact coordinate, say for Australia waypoints. Easier would be able to locate it as it is printed on the chart, e.g., for Brisbane SID Rwy 01/19 South, the coordinate for MANLI is S27.27.8/ E153.11.9 while the Lat/Long as recorded in Plan-G is -27.4637088775635/153.197158813477. Or is there somewhere on the web where I can locate the complete coordinate?

Second, I would like to see airways displayed for high or low altitude flights as this would aid in programming the FMC in some aircraft.

If this has been addressed before please forgive me and point the way. I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Jim D.

II

tim arnot

There are 'fix' waypoint files being uploaded to the forum. I don't think Australia is there, but keep an eye out...

Tim. @TimArnot

ilovetofly

Thanks Tim. What I am wanting to do is create a csv file for SID and STAR waypoints but am lacking the knowledge to do so. I've read the manual section 7.5 and I think I understand the formula. But I don't unstand exactly how to do it. I tried in the Create User Waypoint window but nothing shows up on the map. Like I mentioned in the first inquiry, I can do it the tedious way. So how is it done in EXCEL with the commas? Not ever having used or learned EXCEL, it is a little confusing. Does one do so in EXCEL, or somewhere else and then import it to EXCEL then into Plan-G? I tried following the examples in the posted files but I receive errors even though I used the EXCEL page from one of them eliminating what whas already in the file and attempting to create my own. I think it is a problem as to how to place commas since I don't see them in any of the csv files. 

Is there a tutorial or can someone post the method here and teach me?

Thanks,

Jim D.

tim arnot

There's no requirement to use Excel. CSV just stands for 'Comma Separated Values'. It's a standard that predates Excel by many years. It's a plain text file which you can create with Notepad. All it requires is that each entry is on its own line, and each value within that entry is separated by a comma. You can look at any of the download examples in Notepad to see how it's done.

If you are using Excel, 'CSV' is just one of the Save-As file type options. Excel puts the commas in itself; you don't add them. All you do is type the correct values in the rows and columns.

Tim. @TimArnot

ilovetofly

Thanks Tim, I'll give it a go.
I seem to experience another issue, and that is on opening the "Find" window and selecting 'User Waypoints' the waypoint isn't found, or rather the waypoint doesn't center on the map. It worked with the 'Find Airport' selection.
Jim D.

Edit: I figured out the "Find" window.
        Next: I'm having trouble setting the LAT/LONG coordinates. How is this determined? I tried but the waypoint ended up in an incorrect location.
Figured this one out too, I believe. Divide minutes x 60, correct? But using the 'Create User Waypoint', it tells me that it cannot do it and says to refer to the log. Where is that?

OK. figured it all out now. Works great. Thanks for the help

ilovetofly

Tim,
Now that I've figured everything out along with your help, thanks for a GREAT addon. This is SOOOO much better than trying to use the FS planner. This makes it so much easier to set up SIDS and STARS.

Now what about adding the jetways and airways so we can follow the highways in the skys?

Jim D.

Lukas Kergl

Quote from: ilovetofly on December 05, 2009, 02:55:25 AM
I seem to experience another issue, and that is on opening the "Find" window and selecting 'User Waypoints' the waypoint isn't found, or rather the waypoint doesn't center on the map. It worked with the 'Find Airport' selection.
Jim D.

Hey,

i have the same Problem. But i dont know a Anwser. Any Idea?

Sorry, my english is not very good... :(

Luki

ilovetofly

Quote from: Lukas Kergl on December 05, 2009, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: ilovetofly on December 05, 2009, 02:55:25 AM
Jim D.

Hey,

i have the same Problem. But i dont know a Anwser. Any Idea?

Sorry, my english is not very good... :(

Luki

Hi LuKi,

Your Emglish is fine.

To use the 'Find' box, start typing the name of the waypoint in the upper box of the 'find' window and the waypoint list will then show only those with the letters you are typing. Then select the one you want and it will appear where you were typing, then select OK and the map will move to center that point on the screen.

Jim D.

Lukas Kergl

Thats it.... Thanks a lot.
But i think it´s a litte Bug,i think it should work with a direct selection too, or not?

Luki

ilovetofly

Quote from: Lukas Kergl on December 05, 2009, 08:50:33 PM
Thats it.... Thanks a lot.
But i think it´s a litte Bug,i think it should work with a direct selection too, or not?

Luki

It's faster the way it is. You don't have to scroll through a long list looking for the exact one you want.

Jim D.

tim arnot

It's not really a bug, since that's the way it works. But I may consider changing it in the future.

Tim. @TimArnot

teecee

On the subject of Way-points. Is there any way to add a title that will show up on the maps? the reason that I ask is that I have added a bunch of way-points for the strips in  SA and NT in Australia, covering a lot of the Aboriginal Missions and the Cattle stations, and they just show up as white rings. A visible name would be great, thus avoiding having to click on the way-points looking for the one you want. Cheers. Teecee.

tim arnot

Not at the moment, I'm afraid. (But it is on the wish list...)

Tim. @TimArnot