News:

Main Menu

Plan-G database creation freezes

Started by Eikthrynir, January 18, 2016, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eikthrynir

Hello!

I've just installed Plan-G 3.1.3.113, on Windows 7 x64, with UAC disabled, on the same machine as the simulator (Prepar3d v3.1), no network sharing.

While trying to create the database from the Prepar3d v3.1 scenery, it gets stuck at "Preparing database for new data". I followed the steps mentioned in other similar threads on this forum, and found out from the Plan-G log that PlanG3_P3D.sdf file cannot be accessed because it is opened by another process.

Well, I checked with Process Explorer, and the only open handle I found for this file was owned by Plan-G. I managed to create the database by restarting Plan-G. But I am curious about whether this can be avoided.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

sky one

Hello,

have you tried to run Plan-G "As Administrator"?

Ciao
Cristiano
X-plane user

Eikthrynir

I've just restored my system (using ghost partition images) to a time before installing Plan-G, so I was able to make a test.

After installing Plan-G, I started the application with "Run as administrator", closed it, rebooted my computer, started the application with "Run as administrator", and then built the database without any problems.

I do not know whether the reboot was the solution or the fact that I ran the application as administrator (remember, I have UAC disabled).
Anyway, I did both and it worked flawlessly this time.

I hope this information is helpful to others who want to avoid this small inconvenience.

Thank you for replying!

sky one

I hade the same problem the day before your message: I just used "Run ad administrator" without any reboot and it worked for me. But "your mileage may vary"...
X-plane user

SNOOPY65

Same issue for me.  "Run as admin. and/or re-boot not working to fix issue"

Running P3D v3.1 on Win7.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Log attached.

Thx !   

Rick

tim arnot

Try manually deleting the PlanG3_P3D.sdf file before you run Plan-G. Then there won't be any file to be locked. (Don't worry, it'll recreate the file when you build the database).

Tim. @TimArnot

SNOOPY65

No... that didn't work Tim. 

Same issue ????????

tim arnot

Hmm. What's the active database when you go into the database build?

You could try this: Copy the P3D scenery.cfg file and copy it to the FSX location -- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. You may need to show hidden folders, and you may need to create some of the path. You can then build the database "for fsx" (which is ostensibly the same as P3D), and maybe that'll work.

Tim. @TimArnot

SNOOPY65

Tim

I don't have FSX installed so that file path does not exist for me.... which got me thinking.

So I went back and deleted all 3 of the .SDF files (FSX, P3D + Xplane) in C:\user\documents\Plan-G\Data.... then ran the database build successfully.

It rebuilt only the P3D.SDF file... so it seems the conflict was with the other .SDF files.

Thanks for your help !

Rick/Canada

tim arnot

I was going to say you don't actually need FSX - just put a fake fsx.exe in the same folder as P3D and tell Plan-G where it is. But glad you've got it working, and your solution gives me a good hint regarding finding the bug and fixing it.  :08:

Tim. @TimArnot