News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

how to display Terrain in PlanG?

Started by Akila, February 28, 2016, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akila

I am stuck, can't seem to figure out how to display terrain data on the Plan-G main map/window..
I followed the instructions in the manual to copy the DEM files downloaded to the DEM folder but yet it doesn't show terrain data.

here how it is displayed on my computer (no terrain data)

here is how I am seeking for this to look like

dempsey

As far as I know the DEM data is only used to create the Plan Elevation for a create plan: View --> Plan Elevation

You can select a different map source under: File --> Options --> General, some show mountain ranges. When you subscribe to a map source with that information then you can select that also.

Hope this helps.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

BrettT

I have been flying in that same area.  For me the best included map source for that area is the OpenCycleMap   It shows what you have in the second picture

Akila

Guys, you both Rock! dempsey, your tip helped.
BrettT, your source map you advised indeed is the one that yield the best results.
thanks guys..

tim arnot

You'll probably find if you zoom out, the terrain appears. Some map providers stop terrain shading around zoom level 9 or so. Annoying, but not a lot we can do about it, short of paying someone a lot of money. Just try different providers from the General Options tab, some are definitely better than others.

Papua New Guinea is great for bush flying (I've flown there a lot), but I agree it's a pain flying up some of those twisty mountain valleys when you don't have a decent terrain view.

Tim. @TimArnot

Akila

You are correct Tim, when zooming out you indeed see terrain data.
picking a different map provider in the general settings helped the issue I was facing seeing terrain data at a higher zoom.
enough to what I need to prepare a flight plane at the mountty bush