News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Problems with MapQuest

Started by fontenele, July 11, 2016, 09:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spokes2112

Marc, were you referring to http://www.thunderforest.com/ ?
Auto correct may have stepped in.

Jive1

Hey!
I'm in same problems... No more map for connecting with Flight Simulator.
Will that be available again soon?
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium

ivanrk

Hi.

I don't know how long it will last but I have set the Tile Cache Mode in Plan-G to Local Cache Only and all the tiles are now displaying correctly using MapQuest OSM.
The tiles that displayed the message about being no longer available are gone.  If this continues I will be happy as the mapping within my cache is up-to-date enough for me as long as it doesn't get cleared.
If I have the Zoom set too high I get an exception message about no data in local tile cach but if I unzoom a few notches until the imagary appears I can then zoom again as normal and it is all there.

Cheers

Jive1

Hey!
I just have set the same settings.... Local Cache only and OSM MapQuest....
But still no map tiles, the message of abandoning is still there...
What else can I do?....
Greetz
Jive1

tim arnot

Quote from: spokes2112 on July 13, 2016, 12:19:26 PM
Marc, were you referring to http://www.thunderforest.com/ ?
Auto correct may have stepped in.

Thanks Marc and Spokes, it looks promising.

Tim. @TimArnot

tim arnot

Quote from: Jive1 on July 14, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
Hey!
I just have set the same settings.... Local Cache only and OSM MapQuest....
But still no map tiles, the message of abandoning is still there...
What else can I do?....
Greetz
Jive1

As stated on the previous page: Switch to OSM or Open Cycle Map. Map quest have pulled their service, as is their right. All I can do about it is take them out of the list of providers.

Tim. @TimArnot

woodhick803

Wheww, glad you guys are on top of this.  Proved to be less to this than met my eye at first.  Kiss (actually a somewhat rhyming term) off MapQuest.
Greenbrier Virtual Aviation,  the VA for and about the GA pilot.  Check us out at http://greenbriervirtualaviation.blogspot.com/.

Fozzer34

In most of my low-level GA Flights I follow the (USA) Highway/Interstate numbers, so Open Street Map (OSM) gives me that option again.

Its just a shame that the terrain detail is not as good as it is in MapQuest.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.

stracey

thanks,  got it now.  Primitive but usable.  I would be prepared to pay to be able to continue using MapQuest but there seems to be no way you can contact them to be able to put a fix in. 
So bye-bye MapQuest.
regards, David

Jive1

Hey!
Meanwhile, my problems ARE SOLVED;
I've tried and it works.
Map Preovider OpenStreetMap works as good as MapQuest OSM.
So I don't need no longer services of MapQuest....
Greetz
Jive1 - Belgium

ivanrk

Hi Tim

You say in one of your posts - quote "Gradually over days and weeks the cache will expire and Plan-G will go the the server again, at which point the tiles will disappear."  Mine is still working correctly as per my earlier comment.  I think you are saying that even though I have set the cache to local only and I do not clear it, that it will at some stage clear anyway.  If that is the case am I able to save it from wherever it is stored and keep using it from that saved location or at least keep putting it back from my saved area whenever it gets cleared by plan-g?  As I say, it is still currently working perfectly even though for some of the tiles I have to reduce the zoom first, and then zoom back again.

Ivan

Canuck

I wonder which maps this chap uses, he claims 7. I have not had the opportunity to d/l his software but it is free, anyone in the know?
http://vfrflight.org/en/documentation.html#3

marc2990

In the 2.05 version of VFRFlight 5 out of 7 maps come from data from openAIP.net, in different variations of which opencyclemap is the best. Then there are still the basic Thunderforest available + the now disappeared MapQuest. Interesting in the Opencyclemap here (data from openstreetmaps) is that at a high zoom level you get a drawing of the seaplane landingstrips. Very practical if you are doing a lot of waterlandings like in i.e. Alaska.
Cheers.

ivanrk

Have you tried reducing the size of the maps by zooming out to say 5 then zooming up again.  I needed to do this on one particular part of the maps.  As I said earlier I use plan-g every day with mapquest and it is all still working perfectly for me.  I have asked Tim is it likely to stop working when the cache is emptied automatically but he has not yet responded.

spokes2112

As long as you're using v3.1 why not take a look at MapBox? Create an account there then create a couple of maps. Plenty of excellent datasets to choose from. Once your maps are created MapBox will give you a token for each created map you made, enter that token in Plan-G|Options|Map Provider & activate.  It's FREE! for up to 50K maps per month. I never got over 1000 / month in the past years using this.  I have got 7 different custom maps to choose from depending on the flight type. Well worth a look!