News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Crashing

Started by rich12545, February 02, 2017, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich12545

Using Win10 and FSXSE.  While making a flight plan, it will randomly open a window that says Plan-G has stopped working.  A problem caused...Close program.  And that's the end.  This started all of a sudden.  I use the latest version (not beta).  I have uninstalled and made sure all vestiges of the program were deleted, downloaded a new install file and reinstalled the program.  Same result.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tim arnot

Is Plan-G connected to FSX, if so, how? Are you running it on the same computer?

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

Hi Tim, I've been using Plan-G for years without a problem like this.  Haven't changed anything.  It's a simple same computer with the default simconnect.  The program will work for a short while and then crash. 

tim arnot

Try switching to FSUIPC. Simconnect sometimes has stability issues.

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

Tim, I don't understand how a poor connection would cause crashes when I'm making a flight plan.  Why would a connection even be needed when making a flight plan?

tim arnot

Sorry, you didn't answer my question when I asked if it was connected, then you talked about Simconnect. So I concluded it was. Many people just load up and connect without thinking about it. The Simconnect connection can randomly crash sometimes, hence the suggestion to change.

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

Ok Tim, the problem is not with simconnect.  I installed fsuipc and changed the connection in Plan-G.  In fact, it looks like the problem could be with the search function.

tim arnot

Okay, exactly what did you search for? And does it happen if you do it again?

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

I just tried to reproduce it but couldn't.  The error window pops up sometimes and doesn't other times.  Same thing happens when there's a rattle in my car engine and I take it in.  Anyway, going from memory I type in an ICAO into the magnifying glass thing and hit return.  Then iirc the problem sometimes occurs when I try to make a plan going from the looked up airport to another airport.  It does this even after I completely reinstall Plan-G. 

tim arnot

Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce that.

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

It just happened again.  I searched for LIDA.  Then I right-clicked LIDA and started the flight plan.  Then I right-clicked LIPU to add this airport and it crashed.  I am attaching the screen shot and log.  Hopefully you can figure it out.
Crap.  I don't see any way to attach a file.  Here's a copy/paste of part of the log.

at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<T>.GetEnumerator()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Plan_G3.Data.FSData.AirportByIdentifier(String icao, Boolean includeLookups)
08:19:33.6 buildContextMenu
08:19:33.6 AllardJD: Checking LIPU in C:\Users\rae12\OneDrive\Documents\Plan-G Files\Charts
08:19:33.7 GetApproachDescriptors: System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException: There is a file sharing violation. A different process might be using the file. [ C:\Users\rae12\OneDrive\Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_FSX.sdf ]
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open(Boolean silent)
   at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.OpenStoreConnectionIf(Boolean openCondition, DbConnection storeConnectionToOpen, DbConnection originalConnection, String exceptionCode, String attemptedOperation, Boolean& closeStoreConnectionOnFailure)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Data.EntityClient.EntityConnection.Open()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectContext.EnsureConnection()
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.GetResults(Nullable`1 forMergeOption)
   at System.Data.Objects.ObjectQuery`1.System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable<T>.GetEnumerator()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Plan_G3.Data.FSData.GetApproachDescriptors(String icao)

tim arnot

You're getting file sharing violation errors accessing the database. Is it on a network share? (I see OneDrive in the path) The network file syncing could cause the database to be locked. My first suggestion is to not use OneDrive, and keep it all local (or exclude it from OneDrive updates if that's possible). Shared drives and databases are not happy companions from what I read.

Tim. @TimArnot

rich12545

It's not on a network.  Really, I don't care about one drive but it installed when I installed win10.  It sort of automatically took over documents and made itself king.  I would delete the whole thing if I was positive it would just go away and not screw up windows.  Even fsxse has its flight files in one drive.  I could move everything over to the regular documents but don't know if the whole thing would get screwed up or even work.  Win10 is pretty good but some parts of it are crap and Microsoft forces people to do it their way whether they like it or not.  If you could tell me a simple way of solving this problem, I would appreciate it.

rich12545

Ok, I moved everything from onedrive documents to regular documents and my computer didn't explode.  That's good news.  I will be flying over the next few days and report back.

rich12545

I got the onedrive setup so it doesn't go on when windows starts so it's effectively disconnected.  Everything seems to work fine.  No crashes.  If things change, I will write back.  Tim, thanks for the help getting this done.