News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Can't change Plan-G Files folder name

Started by ChuckOman, November 21, 2017, 01:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckOman

Tim - I have both P3Dv3.4 and P3Dv4.1 on my system.  Had set Plan-G 3.1 paths to read scenery.cfg in P3Dv3.4, and put databases in ..Documents\Plan-G files per usual.
Recently downloaded new Plan-G v3.2, and pointed it at P3Dv4.1 scenery.cfg.
Noticed that Plan-G 3.2\Databasse\Settings now allows user to set the path to Plan-G files folder, so thought I could write the Plan-G 3.2 data into a different folder, ...Documents\Plan-G v3.2 files, to keep the databases separate.
But when I built the P3D library it wrote the data into Documents\Plan-G, not new Plan-G v3.2 folder I'd specified.
Is this a bug ?

More generally, what advice do you have for those of us who would like to have separate databases for P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 ?

Chuck

tim arnot

No, you can change the path, not the folder name. The mod was to allow people who use cloud services for their documents folder to be able to use the program (the database libraries don't play nice with cloud servers), it wasn't intended as a general "lets rename the folder to something else". But maybe I'll add that for next time.

Tim. @TimArnot

ChuckOman

Thinking further, seems changing the entire Plan-G folder name doesn't make sense. 
Seems that P3D will be leapfrogging successive versions for the indefinite future, and users like me may want to have both old and new installed during the transition, and perhaps also have the scenery configured differently.
It is great that Plan-G allows specification of additional scenery locations outside of the root folder.
But changing them each time you reset the scenery locations to a different version of P3D is painful.

Suggestion: modify location dialog to allow user to specify two .exe and scenery config location paths for P3D  (P3Da and P3Db since the version numbers will eventually change), including paths to the add on scenery installed outside the root for each
That way users could set paths appropriately once, and create a pair of .sdf files within the Plan-G\DATA folde, one for each sim.

Chuck