News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

What Files Do I Need to Copy Over

Started by old wrinkly, November 24, 2017, 04:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old wrinkly

I have plan-g running on my x-plane 11 PC using W7.

I want to create a plan-g installation on a dedicated laptop, running W10, so that I can have a external moving map which I believe is possible with plan-g.

I have copied over my x-plane 11 installation folder to an external hdd and I am trying to create the x-plane database by pointing plan-g to the external hdd x-plane installation folder "x-plane.exe" but all I seem to get is a message that says "Processing, please wait.." "Scanning apt.dat" and the progression bar. It has been like this for sometime now. The Cancel and OK buttons are greyed out.

I was wondering if I could copy over the database files from the plan-g running on my x-plane system and if so what files do I need to copy.

Thanks

tim arnot

Absolutely. Just copy the My Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\ folder and its contents to your laptop.

Tim. @TimArnot

old wrinkly

old wrinkly

Hi, data files copied across OK, just need to work out how to use Plan-G as an external moving map on my laptop.

I forgot to ask when posting if you have any idea when Plan-G will be able to export flight plans in the new x-plane 11 .fml format. I found a reference to this in September but nothing further.

Thanks

tim arnot

Plan-G will not export .fml files, because Laminar have said it's not a format designed to be used by external planners, and they won't release the format specs. X-Plane aircraft should still read .fms files.

Tim. @TimArnot

old wrinkly

Thanks Tim, no doubt LR have their reasons for the change of format to fml but it makes the process of having a flight plan in x-plane more difficult, even when using a flight planner such as Plan-G, as I assume the only way to create an fml file is to load a route manually then save it through the fmc, a tedious process for the more casual simmer,

I believe from what I have managed to read that fms files can still be loaded into x-plane but there are restrictions on what the plan can contain.

Would it be too much to ask if you could clarify what a route generated by Plan-G can contain i order to still be loaded into the  x-plane 11 default 737  fmc.

Thanks

Chris

tim arnot

According to L-R, FML files are only created by airliner FMSs, and only read by airliner FSMs. The airliner should still read .FMS files created by external planners.

Tim. @TimArnot