News:

Main Menu

FSX Database vs X-Plane

Started by coastalguy, November 29, 2017, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalguy

I have both FSX and X-Plane installed, so I created a database for both on Plan-G. Having used FSX previously, for the destination airport I used the "instrument approaches" option heavily to automatically create the approach in using the IF and FAF's.

However, I see now that on the X-Plane database, there is no option for "instrument approaches", with the only option being to add the airport to the Flight Plan. I was wondering if this was a deficiency on the part of the X-Plane installation, or if Plan-G missed creating this on the database?

Lastly, will a flight plan created with the FSX database, work when exported to X-Plane?

tim arnot

Instrument approaches weren't included in X-Plane default data last time I checked. You can get them via addons such as Navigraph, but that's not supported by Plan-G at this time.

Will a flight plan created using FSX data work in X-Plane? Probably. There are generational differences between the data sets - airports may change ICAO codes, VORS & NDBs get decommissioned or renamed, and in such instances the plan won't be recognised. But as a general rule, a flight between (say) KPWT and KORS is likely to work for either.

You won't get approach data though, since FSX flight plans don't support it, and even though the extended XP11 .fms file supports approaches, Plan-G doesn't write them.

Tim. @TimArnot

dempsey

X-Plane 11.10 (current in beta) will support the new .fms format: https://developer.x-plane.com/?article=flightplan-files-v11-fms-file-format

The question is whether Plan-G can generate all aspects of the 1100 .fms files.
Dempsey

X-Plane 11.25, Plan-G 3.2.1.151

tim arnot

No, it doesn't generate aspects that it doesn't support.

Tim. @TimArnot