News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

cross reference question

Started by dbarnea, October 01, 2018, 09:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbarnea

Hi,

generally, I can understand how it works. However, I have tried to set a cross reference on an intersection point and it seems to give invalid values. Is it on Purpose ?

Thanks,
Doron.

tim arnot

Cross references only work to radio navaids (VORs & NDBs). Although you can interactively get a range & bearing to an intersection, there's no signal in the aircraft that would allow you to home in on it (beyond setting up the defining navaid radials that define the intersection).

Tim. @TimArnot

dbarnea

Hi Tom,

I'm not trying to get a reference from an intersection. I'm trying to get a reference from a VOR TO an intersection.

The intersection from my perspective is just another point that can be referenced from a VOR. Nothing should be special about it in this regard, but it seems it doesn't work.

Try the following to see what I mean :

your departure is TFFJ.  Now add the SUCRE intersection to the plan. it's just west of TFFJ, need to tick ISEC to see it.

Now cross reference SUCRE from PJM VOR which is North west of it. You'll see you get radial 277 which is not quite right. if you draw 277 from PJM, you'll see it's not even close.

Thanks for answering my question Tom.

Doron.

tim arnot

I  think you are misunderstanding the Cross Reference function. Its purpose is to get a bearing and distance FROM the selected waypoint within a plan TO a navaid. Not the other way around. If you want the reciprocal bearing, you'll need to subtract 180 degrees.

I don't have a SUCRE ISEC anywhere near TFFJ in my database, but there are plenty of other intersections, and adding any of them to a plan gives me a perfectly reasonable X-Ref bearing to PJM.

Tim. @TimArnot

dbarnea

Even though. From or To seems way wrong from the bearing (either outbound or inbound). I'm aware of the differences.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

So, here is a short video I have recorded (really short). If you can tell me where is the gap in what I'm doing or understanding, that would be great.

Thank you Tim for taking the time to answer our questions. It's very appreciated and is not obvious.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb8h88yyyqrr7we/2018-10-07_7-32-40.mp4?dl=0

tim arnot

Does the error happen with the other intersections around St Barts? Also, are the intersections part of a specific addon? (they're not in the standard scenery) - it looks like the problem is specific to that intersection or that addon.

Tim. @TimArnot