News:

Main Menu

Mapbox question

Started by Col1948, September 28, 2019, 11:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col1948

I have read the topics on Mapbox but I'm having problems getting the map to show, I'm in FSX by the way.
I input my MB ID in the first window, then the long code provided by MB in the second window, I have the Mapbox1 highlighted., I cleared cache, closed Plan-g, restarted but still get the error.

I saw one topic where it said replace the . with a / in the long code, I tried that but still got the error.
I have version 3.2.1.151 in Plan-G
The code from MB is a new one because I recently logged in after a spell away, there is a public code as well, I tried using that but still no joy.

Any help appreciated.

Col.

Col1948

I was on another program and that has a few map versions, I tried to use one of those but wasn't sure how.
The versions are: Bing Map,  Google Map and ArcGIS World Street Map.

Any ideas anybody?

Col.

Col1948

I downloaded the experimental build to try that, it did used Open Street Map no problem but it gave an error when I tried MapBox.

Col.

Col1948

I appreciate the latest one is in Beta, I have local street map working no problem, but on the other V3.2.1 I wonder why it doesn't work on that, what tweak in the beta got it to work?
Also I tried to turn off the pink tail but it wouldn't after numerous tries, again this might be because it's a beta version.
Still no joy with Mapbox working.

Dieter

I suggest to try this:

Go to Avsim and download this:
mapbox_styleset_4_plan-g_v1.0.zip
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=196747

Unpack and follow the description. (If it stll works you will get an excellent map!)

tim arnot

Unless Mapbox have changed their API again (and I'll admit I haven't looked), it should still work exactly as before.

The "pink tail": Options -> User Aircraft -> Show Trail

Tim. @TimArnot

Col1948

Thank you both, well maybe the server has come back on I don't know but now I have Open Street Map, as for the pink trail I will have another look and report back, thanks again for the replies.

Col.

Col1948

:)Great, got rid of the pink tail and got Open Street Map, well pleased now, thank you.

Col.

Kronovan

Quote from: Col1948 on September 28, 2019, 11:47:06 AM
I saw one topic where it said replace the . with a / in the long code, I tried that but still got the error.
I have version 3.2.1.151 in Plan-G
The code from MB is a new one because I recently logged in after a spell away, there is a public code as well, I tried using that but still no joy.

Any help appreciated.

For mapbox maps, you don't use your account name in the PlanG ID textbox, but instead must enter a portion of what's called a mapbox style ULR. I got a mapbox map to display correctly last week and these are the steps to do it:

• Create an account at mapbox.com
  • Once your account is activated, login and click the drop-down menu at the very right of the home webpage and choose 'Account' to access your account page.
  • Click the 'Design in Mapbox Studio' item on the Tools & resources menu; right side of the page.
  • When the "Mapbox | Studio" web page is displayed, click the [New style] button to access the 'Choose a template' page
  • Click the template you'd like ('Basic template' and 'Satellite' both worked for me). A checkmark will appear on that map type.
  • A [Customize specific template you selected] button will also appear at the middle of the page bottom; Click it. It may take some seconds, but eventually an editable map with a title of "Styles > your selected map type", will be displayed.
  • Don't bother making any edits to the map, instead click the 'Share...' option on the upper right of the menu bar.
  • On the 'Share' form, locate the "Your style URL" textbox and click the clipboard icon to the right of it to copy the URL to your clipboard.
NOTE: The next step is a bit tricky, but crucial to making the map display correctly in PlanG.

• Copy the style URL into any text editor. Then select that portion of that URL text beginning at your account name to the end and copy it to the clipboard. This is a simplified, abstract example of what an edited style URL should look like:  acountname/aa9aaaaa9a9a9aa9aaaaaaaa
  • In PlanG, access 'File' > 'Options' > 'General' and paste that edited style URL into the Mapbox 1  'ID:' textbox.
  • Go back to that mapbox 'Share' form and locate the 'Your access token' textbox. Click the clipboard icon to the right of it to copy the token to your clipboard.
  • Close the mapbox 'Share' form and then click "Styles >" in the upper left of the map. You'll be returned to the Mapbox | Studio Styles page and you will see your new style listed there.
  • In PlanG, again access 'File' > 'Options' > 'General' and paste that access token into the Mapbox 1  'key:' textbox.
  • Enable the Mapbox 1 radio button and then close PlanG. The next time you open PlanG, your mapbox map should display correctly.

It might seem like an awful lot of effort, but I found that there's some advantages with mapbox maps. The Satellite map in particular is very good for viewing the actual layout of an airport or airfield, since it provides a photographic depiction of them.

Col1948

@Kronavan, Thank you, I would never have done any of that without your help and guide, it is working great now.

Col.

Kronovan

Bruno.L

A late reply, but I just want so say thank you very much for the very detailed "recipe". Btw. I am using the Satellite Images map.
Bruno