News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Steam DLC KCGX does not appear in PlanG

Started by BuffaloSpeedway, November 04, 2019, 10:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuffaloSpeedway

I can successfully use the Steam DLC KCGX, but it doesn't appear in PlanG.  There was a thread on this back on 12 Feb 2016, but it didn't seem to get resolved then.

Mr Arnot has since said:
QuoteThat issue dates from before the advent of Orbx Central (the current installer scheme). I've just installed KCGX using the current Orbx installers (default options), and built a Plan-G database afterwards. The airport shows up perfectly fine.
but I don't understand that.  I looked at Orbx Central, and it seemed to be for something other than Steam DLC.

Has anyone gotten the Steam KCGX to show up in PlanG?

Kronovan

Are you sure you're using the new updated KCGX within FSX:SE? The reason I ask is because some addon scenery needs to be manually added to your library - usually not the case for Steam DLC, but I've heard of where an automated install fails. It's a simple procedure to test whether it's been successfully added to your scenery library; just access [Settings] > [Scenery Library...]  and make sure you KCGX airport scenery is present in the list of scenery areas.

Otherwise, PlanG need to know where the correct location of your user SCENERY.CFG file is to successfully build the database.  Note; this is different than the SCENERY.CFG that's located in you FSX folder and is typically in a folder with the path \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder. The path for the folder may different, depending upon your version of Windows.

tim arnot

Yeah sorry, I don't use Steam. (And you can still install Orbx sceneries from outside the Steam ecosystem...)

If the scenery doesn't get added to the scenery.cfg file, you can always set the path to it manually via the Additional Scenery Locations box in Database Build Settings. To use it, click Add... and browse to wherever your Orbx_KCGX*.bgl files are (on my PC that's E:\FS\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KCGX\Scenery)

Tim. @TimArnot

BuffaloSpeedway

KCGX does show up in FSXSE Settings...Scenery Library, and I haven't had any problem with it in FSXSE since installing it last March.

It is referenced in the scenery.cfg file.

I also tried PlanG (v 3.2.1.151)  Data...Build Navigation Database...Settings...Additional Scenery Locations, and entered the folder location of the Orbx_KCGX_*.bgl files.  However, after rebuilding the internal database, KCGX still does not appear in PlanG.  I believe this is the problem as was reported in the original posts of Feb 2016.

If anyone gets this to work, I'd appreciate a reply.

tim arnot

If you have a log of that database build, we can at least verify whether it is finding the files.

There are really only 2 possibilities:
1. It doesn't find the files (wrong scenery.cfg / bad pathname / attempting to build across a LAN etc)
2. It finds the files but can't read them (DRM measures possibly)

Either way, the log should tell us. Until we know which of these scenarios we're looking at, there's not much to add.

Tim. @TimArnot

BuffaloSpeedway

I've done a Database Build, specifying \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX\scenery as the additional scenery location (where the ORBX .bgl files are).  This generated a 2000 line log file.

The only line that references KCGX is near the start of the log file, and is shown below:

11:48:46.6 Building database for FSXFS9
11:48:46.6 FS directory is: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\
11:48:46.6 Registry cfg path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg
11:48:46.6 Processing AdditionalSceneryLocations.txt
11:48:46.6 Scanning folder D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX\scenery
11:48:46.6 Scanning Scenery.cfg (C:\Users\BigDog\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg)
11:48:46.9 Index: 120 Active: TRUE Title: Addon Scenery Path: Addon Scenery
11:48:46.9 Scanning folder 120: Addon Scenery
11:48:46.9 KBED_AFX_JC.bgl Apts: 1 Vors: 3 Ndbs: 0 wpts: 0 Approaches: 0 Bdys: 0
11:48:46.9 KHRL_ADEX_RWT.BGL Apts: 1 Vors: 1 Ndbs: 1 wpts: 35 Approaches: 18 Bdys: 0
11:48:46.9 KLBB_ADEX_AP.BGL Apts: 1 Vors: 2 Ndbs: 2 wpts: 39 Approaches: 15 Bdys: 0
11:48:46.9 Index: 119 Active: TRUE Title: Edwards_AFB Path: Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB
11:48:46.9 Scanning folder 119: Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB

Kronovan

I see a problem on the 3rd line of that portion of your log you posted. The Registry CFG path is pointing to a subfolder under the ProgramData folder on your C: drive. I've heard of this before for FSX:SE and there's some reason why it's that way. I believer it's either when installing FSX:SE on a PC in which FSX9/2004 is also installed, or when uninstalling FSX:SE and installing it to another location; could even be for yet another reason.

Anyhow, I'd recommend opening the SCENERY.CFG files in your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder and your C:\Users\BigDog\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder and then comparing the entries toward the end of them. If you see an entry for your KCGX scenery in the Scenery.cfg file that's located under the ProgramData folder, change PlanG to use that location for the "FSX Scenery" setting instead. You could just copy that Registry cfg path entry from your log and paste it in.

BuffaloSpeedway

I had not noticed that I had two scenery.cfg files.

I copied the KCGX entry from c:\programdata\microsoft\fsx\scenery.cfg to c:\users\bigdog\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx\scenery.cfg (which did not have it).

[Area.121]
Title=Orbx Meigs Field
Local=KCGX
Layer=121
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Since this entry seemed to be pointing to a non-existant directory KCGX in the FSX "Base Path" and not the DLC subfolder where Steam puts files, I copied the KCGX folder from the DLC subfolder to the FSX "Base Path".

I rebuilt the PlanG database, and got a slightly different log file:
19:27:36.4 Building database for FSXFS9
19:27:36.4 FS directory is: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\
19:27:36.4 Registry cfg path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg
19:27:36.4 Processing AdditionalSceneryLocations.txt
19:27:36.4 Scanning folder D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX\scenery
19:27:36.5 Scanning Scenery.cfg (C:\Users\BigDog\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg)
19:27:36.7 Index: 121 Active: TRUE Title: Orbx Meigs Field Path: KCGX
19:27:36.7 Scanning folder 121: KCGX
19:27:36.9 Index: 120 Active: TRUE Title: Addon Scenery Path: Addon Scenery
19:27:36.9 Scanning folder 120: Addon Scenery

but still no airport.

I then changed the reference in the PlanG Build Database settings for scenery.cfg to point to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX instead of the c:\users\... and rebuilt, again a slightly different log file:
21:42:06.1 Building database for FSXFS9
21:42:06.1 FS directory is: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\
21:42:06.1 Processing AdditionalSceneryLocations.txt
21:42:06.1 Scanning folder D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX\scenery
21:42:06.2 Scanning Scenery.cfg (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg)
21:42:06.4 Index: 121 Active: TRUE Title: Orbx Meigs Field Path: KCGX
21:42:06.4 Scanning folder 121: KCGX
21:42:06.5 Index: 120 Active: TRUE Title: Addon Scenery Path: Addon Scenery
21:42:06.5 Scanning folder 120: Addon Scenery

but still no airport.  I think these things were tried by the original posters in 2016.

tim arnot

Can you screenshot a directory listing of D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379548\KCGX\scenery so I can compare it against the files from the Orbx Central download?

Tim. @TimArnot