News:

Main Menu

Plan-G on network- connects to fsx, then crashes

Started by esox, December 27, 2009, 12:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esox

I have Plan-G set up on a networked laptop running XP sp3. My FSX computer is running Windows 7 x64. I can connect to fsx and Plan-G shows my plane located at the correct airport. But, as soon as I try to go to the data tab to import the fsx data, Plan-G crashes. (Plan-G has encountered an error...)
I've successfully mapped my fsx directory (which is on a separate partition from my OS). I've edited my simconnect.xml file to connect via IPv4 with the correct IP of my fsx computer. I've set up Plan-G to match.

Here is the pertinent section of my log file:
3:19:15 PM PlanG constructor
3:19:15 PM executableFolder: D:\Plan-G_0.8.1\Plan-G
3:19:20 PM Starting Plan-G, build 0.8.1.389
3:19:21 PM Selected data set is FSX
3:19:21 PM Starting map
3:19:22 PM Initialisation complete.
3:19:42 PM RibbonButton_Click_ConnectFS
3:19:42 PM SimConnect.Connect
3:19:42 PM SimConnect.Connect - Remote. Mode = IPv4 Server = 192.168.0.2 Port = 4506
3:19:43 PM Connected to FSX
3:19:44 PM SimConnect Exception received:BeatlesBlog.SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_RECV_EXCEPTION
3:19:44 PM SimConnect Exception received:BeatlesBlog.SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_RECV_EXCEPTION

Windows event viewer shows a ".net 2.0 error reporting" event in the application section.

Do I have to do anything special to connect using different OS's?

Thanks,
Jack

tim arnot

When you initially build the FSX database, you do not need to be connected to FS; in fact it is best if FS is not even running, since it may have some of the scenery files locked. All that is needed is to have the FSX scenery and cfg folders mapped and available.

The simplest way to set up Plan-G though, is to start off with it on the FS PC, where you build the database. Once you've done that, copy the Plan-G folder wholesale onto your networked PC, and run it from there. Everything Plan-G needs is contained within the one folder and its sub-folders.

Tim. @TimArnot

esox

Thanks Tim,
When on the networked computer, the build database buttons were disabled, but I could connect.

I just tried running Plan-G on the local (FSX) machine (running Windows 7 x64). I was able to  successfully build the database. Then, when I connect, Plan-G crashes within about 6 seconds.

Log file:
4:37:46 PM Starting Plan-G, build 0.8.1.389
4:37:46 PM FSX is installed
4:37:46 PM FSX database is built
4:37:46 PM Selected data set is FSX
4:37:49 PM Starting map
4:37:49 PM Initialisation complete.
4:37:49 PM Initializing Jump List
4:37:49 PM Clearing progress bar
4:37:49 PM Checking PLN file registration
4:37:49 PM Checking command line
4:37:49 PM Command line. Length = 1 args = D:\Plan-G_0.8.1\Plan-G\Plan-G.exe,
4:38:08 PM RibbonButton_Click_ConnectFS
4:38:08 PM SimConnect.Connect
4:38:08 PM SimConnect.Connect - local
4:38:08 PM Connected to FSX
4:38:08 PM SimConnect Exception received:BeatlesBlog.SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_RECV_EXCEPTION
4:38:08 PM SimConnect Exception received:BeatlesBlog.SimConnect.SIMCONNECT_RECV_EXCEPTION

Any thoughts?

tim arnot

The build buttons are disabled if FS is not installed on that PC. You need to tell it about the remote install in the Options dialog. Manual page 10/11 refers.

Tim. @TimArnot

esox

Ah! that did the trick. Thanks Tim, this software is really a great add-on!  :)