News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Plan G crashes after installed a different program

Started by cristian.sandor@yahoo.com, February 06, 2020, 02:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cristian.sandor@yahoo.com

Hello ,

Last week I installed a program that showed issues with a DLL file msvcr120.dll . To resolve I used a fix download from internet.
After this DLL fix the program I installed (not related to FSX) works fine but I noticed Plan G has issues.

I tried to install latest Plan G as well as latest package to have the correct DLL but issue is still there.

I cannot see any airport or VRP's or user define reference points. Also when I push [Find]->[Airports] the app crashes.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks,
Cristi

tim arnot

If Plan-G is not showing airports, or crashes when you attempt to find airports, but otherwise works, that suggests a problem with the database, or with the database engine. The first step is to upload the Plan-G log file, and I can see exactly what the issue is. The log file is in My Documents/Plan-G Files.

Tim. @TimArnot

I attached the log file. Please help find my issue.
Thanks,

tim arnot

The thing it's complaining of is:

Could not load file or assembly 'LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll' or one of its dependencies.

You should check that the file is present in the Plan-G program folder (it is part of Plan-G). If it IS, then the issue is likely to be with some dependency or other. My guess is that's likely to be DotNet Framework, since it can get damaged by other software. You can download this directly from Microsoft. The specific version you need to look for is DotNet Framework 4.6.2 https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net462

Tim. @TimArnot

Sorry for the late answer, I was on business trip  for all last week.

I do have the file "LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll" in the Plan G folder.

I downloaded DotNet Framework 4.6.2 but when I attempt to install I get the message ".NET Framework 4.6.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer." and only option is to stop the installation.
Is there anything else we could think as a problem?

Thanks

tim arnot

Is there an option to Repair, maybe?

The Simconnect dill is part of the P3D SDK. If you don't already have it, you could try downloading the sdk from l-m, and install the library from there (although I think it may just be a file copy).

The only other thing I can think of, do you have a Windows Retore Point from before your "fix" that you could roll back to?

Tim. @TimArnot

May be a silly question... but I'm using FSX Acc not Prepar3D. Does FSX need this LockheedMartin.Prepar3D.SimConnect.dll file??
Or should I reinstall some other version of Simconnect so it uses some FSX.SimConnect.dll
Again may be silly question ... sorry if that is the case.

tim arnot

The file needs to be there since it's part of the product. If you're not using P3D, under normal circumstances it would just be ignored. It'l only be used if you attempt to connect to the sim with the P3D Simconnect setting.

There are basically just two subsystems that Plan-G uses which can be separately installed (depending on the version of Windows you're running): DotNet Framework 4.6.2, which you've already tried, and Sql Server Compact Edition (SqlServerCE) v3.5. Maybe the sql engine has got corrupted (although why it would report that as a SimConnect error, I cannot fathom), so it's worth downloading and installing/repairing that, again from Microsoft. Other than that, going back to the last Restore Point is all I can really suggest.

Tim. @TimArnot

I restored to last restored point back in 30th of January, but I still have the same issue.
Are there any other options?

tim arnot

If you're sure that restore point is from a time when it was all working, then no, there's nothing else I can think of. Sorry.

v4 will work differently, without these dependencies, but that's not even at alpha yet.

Tim. @TimArnot

Hi Tim,
FSX without Plan G is like a computer without keyboard and mouse.
Would you kindly help, think of an idea to diagnose why my Plan G does not work?
I am not sure, ...  if you would have access to this computer, would be there a chance to figure it out? A remote connection is really easy to setup these days.

Thanks,
Cristi

tim arnot

I can offer you a try of the v4 Alpha. It looks pretty ugly, but the insides work differently, so in theory it shouldn't have the problem that v3 does. It comes totally without warranty or instructions (beyond the readme file), and some things are definitely broken. But it's about all I can suggest.

I don't do remote connections. It's as much a liability issue as a security / technical one.

Tim. @TimArnot

I would give it a try. If that does not works I'll reinstall W10 again.
Thanks

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot