News:

Main Menu

Navdata

Started by bigmarty, June 10, 2020, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmarty

First, let me say that I have been using Plan g for a short period now and am slowly getting familiar with it's extensive features. It is great program and cudos to Tim. I will be making a donation.

I would like to bring more current Navdata into Plan g. Reading the forum I see that there is a way to do this somehow using Xplane (which I do not have) but can't figure out how to do it.  I don't see anything in this regard in the manual. I have Windows 10, 64 bit, P3D v4.5 and v5.

If anyone could give me some direction, it would be much appreciated.

Martin

tim arnot

Yes you can go the X-Plane route. There used to be a free download updated regularly, but I suspect you'd need to go through Navigraph or Aerosoft now via a paid subscription. To use it, you make a fake X-Plane folder, and install the data into that. Plan-G will then see it and let you build a database. The problem with that route is the data in Plan-G will not be the same as the data in the P3D, so you'll get a mismatch - airports that don't exist, navaids that have changed frequency or moved etc. FSAerodata has a system that takes Navigraph data and brings it into the sim (P3D or FSX). You would just need to rebuild the Plan-G database after each update. But that's an additional subscription on top of Navigraph.

P3Dv5 has got a fairly major navdata update, plus a whole bunch of format changes. That'll be supported in Plan-Gv4, which is currently in closed alpha. I'm not sure when or if that'll get retrofitted to v3 - I don't really want to be juggling two sets of source code if I can avoid it. (progress is slow enough already, lol)

Tim. @TimArnot

bigmarty

Thanks for the reply. I will give the fake xplane folder a try.