News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Cannot see UK Airspace

Started by Fotofantom, July 15, 2020, 05:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fotofantom

Hello,

Thanks for the great mapping software. I'm using v3.2.2 and X-Plane 11. I can see my aircraft symbol and all works well. However, I cannot get UK airspace to show on the map. I've created a .txt file with airspace data in it, called it UK.txt and placed it in the X-Plane/Custom Data/airspaces folder. I then rebuilt the Plan-g X-Plane database but I still have no airspace showing. I have the ICAO Airspace box ticked with ticks in the <10000 and >10000  :)
Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you.

tim arnot

Sounds like the right place. Can you attach the log file from your database build? Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

Thanks for your quick reply Tim. I've found the log file but can't see how to attach it to the post. I presume you don't want it in the body of the text. Can you help me with that please.  Sorry if I'm being a numpty.

Jim

Fotofantom

Sorry - found it.
Please see attached.
Thanks

Jim

tim arnot

Thanks.
It seems to be reading the file okay, and writing the table.

Ah. There's the problem!
It's writing the airspace data at the wrong time - before it's deleted the old database. So of course the new airspace data gets deleted as soon as it's written. Oops!

Now I can't fix it in 3.2, cos that codebase has been archived, but I can offer you access to the closed alpha of V4, which is pretty stable but still a bit rough around the edges, but this issue at least should be fixed.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

OK Tim, thanks for sorting the problem.  I'm happy to take the alpha V4 if you can pass me the details please.

Thanks again

Jim

tim arnot

You might need to refresh your browser, or possibly log out & log in again, but you should now have access to the alpha board.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

Sorry Tim, how do I access the Alpha board? Do I need to download V4 or is there an option somewhere in the V3.2.2 that I'm not seeing?

Thanks
Jim

tim arnot

No. It's here on the forum. Go to the top level and scroll down.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

OK Tim, thanks for trying but V4 doesn't show my aircraft on the screen when I connect and doesn't show me the airspace.
I'll revert to V3.2.2 for now.

Thanks again.
Jim

tim arnot

Please attach the log. Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

OK, I've attached the log file.

Jim

tim arnot

1. You've set the X-Plane folder to c:\X_Plane 11 and it's not finding any data. Your previous log was set to c:\X-Plane 11. A subtle but very important difference. (dash, not underscore)

2. It is attempting to connect to FSX (the default), not X-Plane. You need to configure the connection.

I notice that your working folders are set up on a cloud drive (OneDrive). V3.2 would not work reliably with cloud data, but v4 uses a completely different data engine. It's not been tried with cloud based data, so I'm curious to know how well it works. If you find that there are problems either saving the database or reading it, you can move the Plan-G Files folder to a local drive via the same dialog that you set the X-Plane path in.

Tim. @TimArnot

Fotofantom

OK Tim. Once again, thanks for your time with this.
Hands up - user error for the majority of the failures. I didn't revisit the config area after reloading the software and so it was trying to connect to FSX. That's now resolved.  I have my aircraft on the screen with all airports and VRP's but the VRP's do not show their details when I hover over them so they are not identified as they were in v3.2.2.

I changed the location of the Plan-G files just in case that was causing an issue but, to be honest, it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

I still can't see any airspace though.  Looking through the log file, it seems to deal with the UK.txt airspace file without showing an error but there is nothing at all on screen relating to airspace.

I've attached a fresh log file in case you wanted to continue with this investigation. I've also attached the UK.txt airspace file just in case I'm asking your application to read rubbish.

Thanks again
Jim

tim arnot

I'm seeing the same as you - it's populating the database, but not showing anything on the map. I'll investigate further and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Tim. @TimArnot