News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Stuck at creating database

Started by Gambino Volante, July 21, 2020, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambino Volante

Hey Tim,

after so many years of great service my plan-g copy has encountered a problem. I was checking a new strip I added at Walikale road in Congo, it wasn't present on plan-g database, so I decided to let it rebuild it.

as soon as I told p-g to start building it hung and never recovered, like in this image

it lets me config x-plane path,

it builds database in less than a second but doesnt change its status (like first image)

it never happened in like five years
thanks for your patience, GV

I'll add my log.txt

tim arnot

Plan-G can't access the database file to write new data. This could be because a previous session crashed. Or maybe it's an issue of access permissions.
So try:

- reboot the PC (this will clear any lingering locks)
- Run Plan-G 'As Administrator'
- Manually deleter the database file, so Plan-G can recreate it - Documents\Plan-G Files\Data\PlanG3_XPX.sdf

Let me know how you get on.

Tim. @TimArnot

Gambino Volante

Ok, tried it. Plan-g just took a little bit longer to recreate the db but didnt change its condition

I'll add log txt, created just after new db and after I closed and launched plan-g again.

tim arnot

Searching back through other instances of this problem, the only other suggestion that seems to have any success is, to go back through your Windows update history and reapply all the patches. There's a distinct possibility that one of the patches did not install correctly, and that's what's causing this error.

My instinct says it's likely to be a Sql Server or DotNet update, but that's just a guess. It's likely to be a tedious job, I'm afraid.

Another option is for you to try the Plan-G v4 alpha. It's still very early, and not generally available (by invitation only), but it does have a completely different database engine, and so shouldn't suffer from this problem. Let me know and I'll give you access to that part of the forum.

Tim. @TimArnot

Gambino Volante

Ok Tim, I'll check my windows updates and Sql and dotnet versions. I'll give it a try to be sure I'll have no other issues

I'll report here as soon as I've done, thanks for your patience, gv.

Gambino Volante

Sadly I couldnt resolve the problem

these are all the packages I could install in win7 (all essential up to date)

result is the same, plan-g log txt output same as the first post :(

tim arnot

Understood. My only other suggestion is for you to try the v4 alpha...

Tim. @TimArnot

Gambino Volante

Hey Tim,

that's what happened these days. I was updating my windows7 licence too and during "end of support" microsoft update my pc failed, my psu or mobo were damaged, whatever ... I'm still trying to fix my hardware.

In the meantime I got my pc back on my main hd and I was reading here the forum and see that somebody asked for an old win xp plan-g version (here http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4192.0), so I gave it a try

It somehow worked. Running it in win xp compatibility mode, it recreated the xpl 9 database (I was stupid and I've lost my personal bookmarks) but now plan-g 3.1 and 3.2 both work and are unstuck

I'll attach the log.txt that came out

I'll go back to figure out what happened to my pc, hope is just psu that reached its old age

tim arnot

The database layout is the same across both versions, so it's reasonable that if you can build it in one, you can use it in the other.  :great:

Tim. @TimArnot