News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Build 220 *64 Bit*

Started by tim arnot, August 31, 2020, 06:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim arnot

Please Rebuild Your Databases!

In order to accommodate the massive amount of extra data generated by the new MSFS, we've had to go 64-bit. This is because the build database routines were blowing the 3GB memory limit imposed on 32-bit apps (and consequently failing). That in itself has had several knock on effects, not least with SimConnect. SimConnect requires the use of a dll provided by Microsoft or Lockheed-Martin, that gets linked into the program. The dll for MSFS is 64-bit, as is the dll for P3D v5. Which is great. But the dlls for FSX and P3D v4 are 32-bit. Which is not. Because you can't use 32-but dlls with 64-bit code. And it gets worse: the MSFS SimConnect won't connect to FSX, and the P3Dv5 Simconnect won't connect to P3Dv4.

The irony is, the old 32-bit libraries would connect to everything. There appear to be very few paddles up this creek!
Fortunately FSUIPC is fine: you can still connect to any sim through FSUIPC and WideFS.

If you really need to use FSX or P3Dv4 with SimConnect, please let me know. It would mean splitting the code base into two versions (one that'll connect but won't build all databases, and one that'll build all databases but won't connect to everything.) Rock. Hard Place. I've been down this route before with XP/Win7 versions, and I'm very reluctant to go back down that rabbit hole...
For now, build 218 is still available to download, for those that need the 32-bit libraries.
Anyhow:

Plan-G 4.0.0.220
* 64 Bit
* Show Traffic now defaults to OFF
* Added separate SimConnect Config Index setting for MSFS
* References to FSX and P3D SimConnect changed to FS2020 and P3dv5 (64-bit)
* Theme settings applied to popup grid windows (Plan, Information, Weather, Traffic, Vatsim)
* MSFS aprons re-enabled
* Updated system libraries
* - Theme manager changed to ControlzEx
* Updated FSUIPC managed library
* Fixed Error trap on worker thread for weather fetching
* Improved the speed of database generation

MSFS Still to do:
- Departures
- MagDev / WMM
- New PLN file stuff

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkfXrd8YzuWw7AJckc9Xxz1MmkUB?e=FVa7Oe

Tim. @TimArnot

Concorde

Whats the correct path for MSFS scenery database?

tim arnot

It should just find it. Which version of MSFS do you have installed? (GamePass / MS Store / Steam)

Tim. @TimArnot

Concorde

Steam,
It didn't seem to find it for me, everything's blank

tim arnot

Ok thanks. It looks like the Steam version stores things in a different place (nothing like consistency...)

Fortunately, you can set the path manually. In the Database Build Options dialog (click Build Navigation Database, then Settings...), at the bottom of the list of paths, you'll find one that's just called "Path". You can set this to the MSFS content folder:

- If you specified a content location when you installed the sim, that's the path you want.
- If you let it install the default settings then for Steam it's

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

and for MS Store it's

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

(the Steam info comes from a third party site, as I don't have that version)

Note that AppData is a hidden folder, so you may need to select 'Hidden Items' in the Explorer View menu in order to see it.

Tim. @TimArnot

ktomi65

Please help.
Although the MSFS2020 SDK and DotNet Core v3. installation - Plan-G v4 64bit Alpha Build 220 won't connect to MSFS. It also does not connect with P3Dv4.
Plan-G was excluded from firewall.

THX in advance.

Link to the log.txt file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WK4gSSQo7INteTDyGI37KVGxTCQ4blIb/view?usp=sharing

Concorde

Quote from: tim arnot on September 05, 2020, 11:54:45 PM
Ok thanks. It looks like the Steam version stores things in a different place (nothing like consistency...)

Fortunately, you can set the path manually. In the Database Build Options dialog (click Build Navigation Database, then Settings...), at the bottom of the list of paths, you'll find one that's just called "Path". You can set this to the MSFS content folder:

- If you specified a content location when you installed the sim, that's the path you want.

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightDashboard_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

and for MS Store it's

C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

Note that AppData is a hidden folder, so you may need to select 'Hidden Items' in the Explorer View menu in order to see it.
Got it, thanks  8)

tim arnot

Quote from: ktomi65 on September 06, 2020, 04:22:45 PM
Please help.
Although the MSFS2020 SDK and DotNet Core v3. installation - Plan-G v4 64bit Alpha Build 220 won't connect to MSFS. It also does not connect with P3Dv4.
Plan-G was excluded from firewall.
Did you copy the SDK SimConnect.dll into your Plan-G folder?

The 64-bit version cannot connect to P3Dv4, only v5. (there is no 64 bit dll for v4)

If you're connecting across a network, you may find it easier to use the 32-bit version (build 218) on the client PC. The old (FSX/P3Dv4) simconnect libraries are much less hassle in connecting.

Tim. @TimArnot

ktomi65

Thanks for your help, it works!
Cheers!

edakridge

I'm unable to copy SimConnect.dll from WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. Is there a workaround for Microsoft's extreme security?

tim arnot

Copy the version from the SDK. Please see http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4206.0

Or you can select P3D Simconnect from the connection options, which doesn't need the extra dll.

Tim. @TimArnot

jacf182

Quote from: tim arnot on September 05, 2020, 11:54:45 PM

and for MS Store it's

The actual path for me (installed from Steam, default path) is:
C:\Users\[Your Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot