News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

creating database when accessing FS2020 through Steam

Started by scaramouche0484@gmail.com, September 08, 2020, 11:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaramouche0484@gmail.com

Have installed V4 Alpha but cannot create the FS2020 Database. Is it because I access the sim through Steam? If so what is the route to create the database? Hope you can help. Love the new version.

tim arnot

You can set the path manually for Steam installs. Details are in this post here: http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4205.msg20243#msg20243

It should be automatic in the next build.

Tim. @TimArnot

Many thanks, will try it.

I have tried it and it appears that the path ends with 'Local Cache' and not 'Packages'. I have no file called packages? Any suggestions?

tim arnot

Packages is a folder inside Local Cache. That's where the default install will be. If you specified your own install location, there won't be a 'packages' folder, just the path you specified.

Inside Packages you'll find two folders: Community and Official. These are the two content folders. The path you specify for Plan-G is the one that contains these two folders (ie 'packages' or your path).

Tim. @TimArnot

Found the two folders and it seemed to create the database, except when I went to 'Find' the airports do not have the correct names E.g. 00KS  Name: 'TT:AIRPORT0D.KS.name'. Have I the wrong two folders?.

tim arnot

Hmm. Ok. Can I get you to look for a file for me?

Official\OneStore\fs-base\en-US.locPak

This is the file that takes all those "TT:AIRPORT..." names and translates them into English (or French, German etc). It's just possible that Steam has put it in a different place. If it's not there, could you search for it and tell me where it is? Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Have found it in a directory called

G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\

Should I move it somewhere else? This is the same drive where those two other files sit but they are under G:\FlightSim\

Thanks for all your help

tim arnot

Thanks for that, I'll incorporate that info into the next build, if you can live with the fake names for another day or so.

Tim. @TimArnot

No worries and thank you for all your help.

can you send me an email when the build is ready?

Is build 221 for the steam version or is there another one coming? I rebuilt the database and have the same problem. I am sure I am doing something wrong so my apologies.

Regards

tim arnot

No, as stated in the readme, the Steam code is untested, since I don't have the Steam version.

Could you please do two thins for me: 1. attach the log file from your database build (the log is in My Documents\Plan-G Files), and 2. locate a file called UserCfg.Opt on your system, and tell me its location. (it'll be somewhere under AppData). Thanks.

Tim. @TimArnot

Winnie

I also have a Steam install and have the same issue with airport names. Just for reference, the "Plan-G Files" directory in documents folder, after the MSFS2020 database creation, hosted 1,57Gb of data.

I attach the logfile.

My UserCfg.opt file is in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thank you for all your work!

tim arnot

For the names, you need to go into Build Options (click the Settings button), and set the location of your Steam library.

Quote from: Winnie on September 11, 2020, 04:07:11 PM
My UserCfg.opt file is in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Thanks. I'll add that to the list of locations that get checked.

Tim. @TimArnot

Winnie

I don't know if this is already known or not, if it is sorry for duplicating, i haven't found nothing regarding this in the forum.

Another detail I noticed today is that the MSFS base path is different on Steam installations, with the directory structure being "Official\Steam" instead of "Official\OneStore" of the MS Store installations.

The location of Usercfg.opt  is
C:\Users\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Also attached the log file requested. sorry for the delay but it took me a little time to work out how to attach a file. Idiot!!

Regards