News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

OpenStreetMap not working on Alpha version?

Started by BeardyTimbo, September 10, 2020, 08:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardyTimbo

Hi all - I'm new hear but excited to use Plan-G it looks great.

I've installed the alpha build for MSFS 2020 and it seems to be picking up the right data after building database etc.

The problem I am having is the only map that works for me is OpenCycle Map or OpenTop Map. I'd like to use OpenStreetMap if possible but it just loads once square and then the rest are blue stating with an exception timeout error.

Is this just a problem with the Openstreetmap servers? i.e they aren't coping with traffic?

Lastly the maps that are working are extremely laggy when scrolling around but only when the MSFS 2020 display data option is on. Is this expected?

Cheers

Tim

tim arnot

Hi BeardyTim,

I've just checked here and OSM is working fine. It's probably just some local network congestion between you and their servers.

Over time as you use it, Plan-G will build up a local cache of places you visit, which gives it some resilience against network outages.

Haven't done any performance timings in this new version yet - it's still very new. It's a whole new database back end compared to v3. It's always going to be the case though that the more data you pull from the back end to display, the more time it'll take, and MSFS has considerably more data than previous sims. Performance will also be influenced by the size of the program window, the zoom level, and what overlays are active (adding intersections and airways will more than double the workload, for example), and of course the spec of the PC, and whatever else is running on it.

-Non-beardyTim

edit: after a brief play about, airspace seems to have the biggest immediate impact on scrolling performance. Turn that off (in the Map tab), and it'll scroll much faster.

Tim. @TimArnot

BeardyTimbo

Happy Friday.

Good choice of name there it's a known fact that all Tim's are awesome (bearded or not)  :D

That makes perfect sense on the mapping thanks, I did manage to always have one big tile showing and thought perhaps it had cached. OpenTop Map is fine for now, I did a flight from Shoreham to Manston along the coast last night and it worked well for me I could make out visual ref points easy enough. So nice to have a VFR map to use.

I will try tweaking whats on\off later as you say if I turn off the MS data it does runs like a dream, so it must be just the amount of overlaid data and hopefully I can find a nice balance. PC Spec wise I'm prob between mid\high end - Ryzen 3600/SSD/16GB RAM/GTX1660 Super.

Thanks again for your help

Tim

Edit: I had a lightbulb moment on the OpenMap\Network issue.. fired up a VPN and set it to another country. OpenMap now works fine! So hopefully if I run this with the VPN for a while it'll cache enough to solve it. Thanks again.