News:

Main Menu

How to maintain settings when updating Alpha Builds

Started by T1gger65, September 26, 2020, 11:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T1gger65

Hello, new Plan-G user running the v4 Alpha's with MSFS 2020.

When I am updating to a new Alpha build I've been deleting the old folder and replacing it however it's not preserving my custom user settings. I had thought that the settings would be located somewhere in the "C:\Users\username\Documents\Plan-G Files" file-path but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Are there specific files I should copy to the new "Plan-G v4" Alpha folder from the previous build when updating or do most people just overwrite the existing folder when updating?

tim arnot

Settings are in %AppData%\Local\TA_Software\Plan-G_Url_<Magic Number>\<version number>\ (this is all in the readme) You could copy the file from one version to the next, but do bear in mind that since this is an alpha, settings can and do change between versions, so overwriting the settings file with an old one may have unforeseen consequences.
Why does each version have its own settings file? Because there's no requirement to uninstall one version in order to install the next; you can keep multiple versions installed (in separate folders of course), and even run them at the same time.

Tim. @TimArnot

T1gger65

Thanks Tim, missed that in the readme. Keeping things separated during Alpha makes perfect sense.