News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Attempt to add User Waypoint

Started by ilovetofly, December 29, 2009, 06:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovetofly

I have succesfully added waypoints for SID/STARS for airports in AU. Now I'm attempting to add one near Seattle, WA but it keeps being put it in the wrong location. First time it put somewhere in China.

Can I get a little lesson in adding a waypoint? I have tried the tutorial which helped with the previous ones. The one I'm trying to do is BANGR N47.38W122.54. I'm using as coordinates the following:
47.006333/-122.009. G-Plan keeps placing it south of Seattle when actually is is  north and slightly west of Seattle near the Penn Cove (CVV) VOR.
I also determined the MagVar to be 17.5*.

Thanks for the help.

Jim D. 

tim arnot

It's just a matter of right-clicking at the appropriate place and selecting 'Create user Waypoint'.

But.... this is only about 10 days away:....

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Ilovetofly/Jim D.:

You shouldn't have to wait for the next release (0.9).

As described in the User Manual, Section 7.4 - you right-click on the (approximate) location of the desired User Waypoint, and Plan-G fills in the lat/lon coordinates for you. (In Release 9, it can optionally fill in the elevation, too!)

If you need to fine-tune the coordinates, you can right-click on the new waypoint, and manually edit the lat/lon.

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec

FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

ilovetofly

Thanks for the help. Now I remember how I did it before, just as you described.

I would love to see coordinates entered as they appear on a chart, e.g. N122.48 W47.19 for example and have them appear on the map. Can it be programmed this way in the future?

Also, how do you convert minutes to a decimal? I've been dividing by 60. Seems to work at times. Is that the correct way?

Thanks again,

Jim D.

RuthMcT

There's a nice little conversion facility at http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

The core calculation in the source code is:

QuotedecimalLatitude = Math.round(absdlat + (absmlat/60.) + (absslat/3600.) )
     decimalLongitutde = Math.round(absdlon + (absmlon/60) + (absslon/3600) )

where the deg, min and seconds have been entered separately e.g. absdlat is the absolute value of the degree component of the latitude

Ruth

ilovetofly

Thanks Ruth, but never having been a math major, I appreciate the link to the converter.

Still would love to see adding a waypoint by just entering Lat/Long-Hr-Min. Takes forever in trying to position it on the map first, well, not forever, but tedious and slow . Still love the program though.

Thanks again all.

Jim D.

RuthMcT

Maybe Tim could program the conversion into Plan-G?

Ruth

tim arnot

I shall put it on the list for the future...

Tim. @TimArnot