News:

Main Menu

NDB Radios beacons

Started by zk-bob, April 25, 2022, 04:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zk-bob

Tim, would it possible to extract the NDB data from FSX and inject it into FS2020?
Either as a new release or preferably as an update.

We really enjoyed flying the ADF system, and FS20 is reflecting the real worlds slow dismantling of that very excellent and valuable resource.

Thank you.

Grumpy....

frankturley

The radio beacons are part of the simulator scenery, so they would need to be created as scenery elements. You might like to pose the question about how to create these in FS2020 on the FSDeveloper forum, there are plenty of people there who could help you.

Transferring the data there would be just like using your FSX data when flying in MSFS2020, they would show on the map, but wouldn't work in the sim.

Hope that helps.

tim arnot

As Frank said, just having them on the map won't make them appear in the sim. But creating NDB add ons for MSFS will have the dual benefit of them showing up in both places.

Tim. @TimArnot

zk-bob

Thank you guys. We are conversant with the Airport Editor.
What I WOULD like is a way of extracting the NDB from FSX to a file.

I have (of course!!) an old install of PlanG with FSX data installed on an old hdd, I suppose I could run THAT and the Airport Ed in FS20 and manually add them.
Discussing this very thing with my Admin guy for our Sim Group, I shall try this, and report back.
Are we succesfull, we will puplish a series of addons for install into the Community Folder.

Where do I know Frank Turley from, is the next question.

frankturley

In the early 1980s I was employed by a group of PC retailers in a technical capacity. At the time, the IBM PC had been launched, and a number of manufacturers wanted to join the market, and produced PCs that were marketed as being compatible. It was thought at the time that a good test of compatibility was the flight simulator program, and so a copy of this found its way onto my desk. I took it home to play with it, and got hooked. I've since flown all succeeding versions, and a number of other flight sims. I now am pretty well fixed on MSFS2020.

During the last 40 odd years I've joined a number of FS interest groups, those I remember include the UK Flight Scenery Group, JHB Airlines, the CIX VFR Group, FS Developer, and the group that were in at the start of Plan-G.

I hope that gives you a clue!

tim arnot

You can open the Plan-G databases in any SQLite reader (such as DB Browser - https://sqlitebrowser.org/ others are available, but that's the one I use).
Run any kind of query you like  - "Select * from NDBs" for example, and save the results as a .csv

Similarly you can use it to edit or add data (just be aware that rebuilding the database in Plan-G will overwrite any changes you make)

Frank's been around since the dawn of time....  ;) (I think I first knew him from Cix VFR)

Tim. @TimArnot