News:

Plan-G has over 1700 followers on FACEBOOK! Click HERE and add your support

Main Menu

Consistent CTD's & Break Point Error - Build 262 with MSFS

Started by Kronovan, August 23, 2022, 07:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kronovan

I'm getting a Crash To Desktop error with MSFS on every flight I fly when Plan G 4.01 build 262 is connected to MSFS. Plan-G runs fine on its own and it appears to have created a flawless database. The database is no small achievement, because I have all of the fan-made addon scenery from the Return To Misty Moorings website with 100's of new seaplane base and cabin locations, all of which are accessible on the Plan-G map. I've also been able to successfully create flight plans and export them to MSFS, which has worked well with the exception that the elevation chart doesn't show me any graphics for terrain.

The crashes come when I connect Plan-G and fly the flight specified by my flight plan. Plan-G has a rule in my Windows firewall settings. I have a multi monitor setup, but don't span my desktop. So I run Plan-G from my left monitor. The CTD's are random, but I did note that 2 of them occurred when I turned to access Plan-G to zoom the map. I run MSFS in windowed mode, so it's easy to do that. Almost all of my departures and destination points have involved the scenery airstrips or seaplane bases from RTMM. I also use the TrackIR 5 head tracking accessory and software. If I fly the same flight plan without Plan-G connected, MSFS runs without any errors.

I haven't given up on the Plan-G yet and I have hundreds of memorable hours bush piloting with version 3.2.2 and FSX-SE. So having become very familiar with the earlier app, I feel committed to continue to use it. I'm wondering what I need to provide to better help with the beta testing process?

[Edit] I forgot to mention that on 1 flight I got a cryptic break point error. It was displayed in an old school dialog box that looked like it could have been generated by a 1990s edition of Visual C.  And nevermind about the elevation graphics - I recreated folders for 262 for zero state install and I forgot to copy the DEM files from my 3.2.2 installation.

frankturley

I use Plan-G running on another networked PC, over the years using FSX, P3d, and now MSFS2020. I also experience CTDs running MSFS2020, and if you look at the MSFS2020 forum you will see it occurs all too frequently. I understand the latest update has been delayed due to a number of issues with the beta testing.
I would suggest that perhaps the CTDs you are experiencing are down to MSFS2020, rather than Plan-G, they might cease when the latest update appears - if we are lucky!

tim arnot

I'm not totally clear here: is it MSFS that's crashing? or Plan-G? Also, do you have any other external utilities running, such as JoinFS or FSUIPC? (you've already mentioned TrackIR)

Also how are you connecting Plan-G to MSFS? Is it through SimConnect, or through FSUIPC?

When you click out of MSFS to use Plan-G, do you directly click Plan-G or do you click the desktop first? Not suggesting that's the issue, just trying to understand the workflow.

Re not copying folders from a previous install: yep, done that!

Tim. @TimArnot

Kronovan

Quote from: tim arnot on August 24, 2022, 04:29:36 PMI'm not totally clear here: is it MSFS that's crashing? or Plan-G? Also, do you have any other external utilities running, such as JoinFS or FSUIPC? (you've already mentioned TrackIR)
MSFS is crashing and almost always without any error message. The next time I start MSFS, it prompts me if I want to start in standard mode or safe mode. The client software for TrackIR 5 is the only other external utility I have running.

QuoteAlso how are you connecting Plan-G to MSFS? Is it through SimConnect, or through FSUIPC?
Via SimConnect. I'm new to MFSF and don't own that edition of FSUIPC yet.

QuoteWhen you click out of MSFS to use Plan-G, do you directly click Plan-G or do you click the desktop first?
I run MSFS in windowed mode and have a 3 display setup. So with Plan-G running in one of my other displays, I just move my mouse to it and click it directly.

My Plan-G 4.1.0 install was indeed into a new folder.

[Edit] This might provide better clarity to your 2nd question; when accessing File > Options > FS Connection the selected setting is "SimConnect 2 (FSX/MSFS)." I'm not sure why it's set to SimConnect 2 as opposed to SimConnect  1 - Plan-G did that by default. Should it be set to SimConnect 1?

tim arnot

The two connections use different sim connect libraries (sometimes one or other doesn't work on a particular user's machine. This is characterised either by an immediate Plan-G CTD when you click 'Connect', or by a simple failure to connect). Either one is fine to use, and shouldn't make a difference from the MSFS side.

It could be worth clicking in an area of blank desktop before you click in the Plan-G window - that will "deactivate" MSFS (ie make it not the "active" window) If it still crashes, that eliminates clicking in the Plan-G window as the cause of the problem. Similarly, if when you're not running Plan-G you don't click outside the FS window, maybe  the reason it didn't crash is simply that you never clicked outside MSFS. Trying these will help narrow down the problem.

Also, if you look at your computer's error logs, that should show some extra information about the crash, at least identifying the faulting module. That can help us tell if it's a known problem, or has a known fix etc.

Tim. @TimArnot

Kronovan

Quote from: tim arnot on August 25, 2022, 10:49:57 AMIt could be worth clicking in an area of blank desktop before you click in the Plan-G window - that will "deactivate" MSFS (ie make it not the "active" window) If it still crashes, that eliminates clicking in the Plan-G window as the cause of the problem. Similarly, if when you're not running Plan-G you don't click outside the FS window, maybe  the reason it didn't crash is simply that you never clicked outside MSFS. Trying these will help narrow down the problem.

OK, when I'm next flying I'll try that approach when I've connected Plan-G to MSFS.

QuoteAlso, if you look at your computer's error logs, that should show some extra information about the crash, at least identifying the faulting module. That can help us tell if it's a known problem, or has a known fix etc.

I've wondered about this. Is there a error/crash log that's specific to MSFS? There was a log for FSX, but I haven't read anything about MSFS having an equivalent.

I should probably mention it'll be some days before I'm flying again. I broke my wrist on Tuesday and with my occupation requiring me to wordprocess all day, it's about as much fatigue and discomfort I can manage right now.

tim arnot

Not specific to MSFS - just the regular Windows logs.

Sorry to hear about your wrist. Take it easy - the sim will still be here.

Tim. @TimArnot

Kronovan

I believe I might have resolved this...

Interesting enough, while dabbling in mission building in a military simulation game called ArmA 3, I was consistently getting CTDs when I went live to test, due to a paging file error. So I blew away my pagefile.sys and generated a new one. That immediately resolved my problems in ArmA 3. And now with some flying around the PacNW this afternoon with PlanG v4.01 b262 always connected, I didn't receive a single CTD. I was certainly flying around areas with extensive 3rd party scenery, because I just bought FSimStudios' CYVR and CanadianFSimStudios' CYAZ and those were the airports I was departing and arriving at.

So it looks like both simulators CTDs were caused by a corrupted paging file. I can't remember the last time I hade a corrupted pagefile.sys - maybe as far back as Win2000. I'm not sure why the CTDs only happened in MSFS 2020 when PlanG was connected, but maybe in that set of circumstances MSFS or Win10 uses, or causes the paging file to be utilized.

tim arnot

Tim. @TimArnot