News:

Main Menu

Crash to Reboot

Started by GOLF, January 04, 2010, 03:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLF

I have still been trying to figure out why I get the crash to reboot if I shut down  Plan-G before I shut down the simulator.

I was under the impression that the two programs are not connected except for FSUIPC.

I tried a little experiment and removed FSUIPC from the flight sim.
Loaded up FSX and Plan-G.
When I shut down Plan-G I still get the crash to reboot.

Unless the two programs are somehow using a common file this seems very strange.

Like I said before, if I shut down the sim first there is no problem.  Unfortunately some times I forget and bang. :-[

Is there any chance that this could have anything to do with FSX only having SP1 while Plan-G uses something in SP2?

Mac

tim arnot

Yes, Plan-G requires SP2 for Simconnect. Try setting your Connection explicitly to 'FSUIPC' instead of 'Auto', then it shouldn't attempt to launch the Simconnect process.

Tim. @TimArnot

GOLF

Tim:
Tried these steps.
Changed Plan-G to connect with FSUIPC.
Removed all the FSUIPC files from the flight sim.
Loaded both programs.
Shut down Plan-G
Crash to reboot.

Tried the same thing with FSUIPC files in the flight sim and had crash to boot.

Went to the SimConnect SDK folder and renamed it XSimConnect SDK.
Reloaded programs and shut down Plan-G.    Crashed to reboot.

This is taken from the system events log.
Type: XError  Source: SidebySide

General Activation Content failed for C:\\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC.dll.  Reference error message:  The operation completed successfully.

I hate being outwitted by a machine. :laugh: :laugh:
I also hate computers. >:(

At least I can still get around the problem by shutting the sim down first.
I was planning on networking my laptop and putting Plan-G on it.   Maybe this problem will go away then.

Thanks for you time Tim.

GOLF

Hi Tim.
Have another question.

Is there a file that is common to both Plan-G, FSX and Google earth?

This problem of crashing to reboot seems very strange.

I have re-installed Google Earth and the problem went away for a few days, then came back.

I re-installed FSX , SP1 and installed SP2.  Again the problem went away for a few days and suddenly started happening again.

Starting a new Plan-G seems to only remove the problem for a couple of shutdowns.

Just wondering if there is some common denominator causing this problem.

Thanks for your help.

tim arnot

No, Plan-G deals with Google maps, which runs entirely within Google's servers - there is no google code for it on your PC. Google Earth on the other hand has all its code installed on your PC (60-odd MB of it) and only gets its data from the servers.

You don't say what your OS is, but a google for 'SideBySide' errors gives this thread, which suggests some possible solutions: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1000450.htm

Tim. @TimArnot

GOLF

Quote from: tim arnot on March 15, 2010, 08:32:42 PM
but a google for 'SideBySide' errors gives this thread, which suggests some possible solutions: http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1000450.htm
OS is XP.    Not sure what you mean by "SideBySide"? ???
Sounds like I need my computer guru. :laugh:

tim arnot

'SideBySide' is the error reported in the log extract you posted. (I think it's the name of the module that generated the fault...)

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Quote from: GOLF on March 16, 2010, 02:34:03 AM
OS is XP.    Not sure what you mean by "SideBySide"? ???
Sounds like I need my computer guru. :laugh:
Nah, you just need Google:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376307(VS.85).aspx

I am no guru, but I know that with XP the SimConnect dll's are located in a subdirectory of C:\Windows called "WinSxS", along with other Side By Side "assemblies". You could check in that directory to see what other apps use such dll's...

- Jeff Schallenberg
Mont Saint Hilaire, Québec
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti