News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Would Plan-G become an IFR planner at some point?

Started by DMullert, January 14, 2010, 05:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMullert

Hello Gang!

I am new here and still browsing through all the messages.  I observe that Plan-G is currently a VFR planner.  Would it ever be enhanced to be an IFR planner?

This is a great contribution!

Thanks!

Dennis

tim arnot

To the extent that IFR is just a flag set in the flightplan, you can 'do' IFR now -- just tick the grey IFR box.

The fundamental tenets of Plan-G are that is designed for GA, and designed for VFR. NOBODY else specifically caters to that sector. But knowing that the sky is not always blue it is getting more IFR features. This release sees ILSs and intersections; next will be airways, and so on. But it is not designed for or intended for use with airliners (why? because that is a completely different kind of flying, and much of what is in Plan-G simply isn't relevant), so you will never see NATs and the like, because they are not relevant to GA, and there are a number of dedicated IFR planners out there, from FSCommander to Super Flight Planner and beyond that do an admirable job of catering to that sector.

For sure, simmers do use Plan-G for airliner flights, even though that is not its purpose (just as in real life, airline pilots will often have a Garmin 296 or similar in their flight bag)

Tim. @TimArnot

Thomas Hawk

Just as a point of reference, I fly the DC-3 (for DC-3 Airways) both as cargo tramp and passenger airliner. Although we look for the clear and the blue, we regularly must fly IFR at least part of our journey. Plan-G certainly suffices for that purpose, as we look specifically for nav aids along the lines of VOR and NDB. That said, just having the ILS available really assists getting on the ground again when in the fog, augmenting ATC.

I don't fly jets, so that is the reality check here. For those pilots looking for both GA VFR flight planning and something in between, Plan-G fits the bill nicely...and then some!

Cheers!
Thomas Hawk
FSX / Win7 64-bit / Intel i7 2.93MHz Quad-core / 6GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce GTS 240