News:

Main Menu

Wish list

Started by IMG19, February 06, 2010, 09:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMG19

It would be nice if we could see the position of the airplane on the "plan elevation" so we know how far from the mountain we are  ;)

Again i love Plan-G...  Thank You

SAPilot

On my wish list too.

Question for Tim - will it be possible ?.

Regards

tim arnot

It would only have any meaning if you stayed exactly on the flightplan. Any deviation, and the plan terrain plot wouldn't apply.

It might be more useful to have a projection of say 5 or 10 minutes flight time ahead of the aircraft on current track, or alternatively a Garmin style colour coded display (Green/yellow/red) to show terrain that is higher/lower...

Tim. @TimArnot

TangoEcho

Just look out the cockpit, if you are in clag then you should be in IFR and at the elevation recommended highest.

Tom

John Lygo

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. Would it be possible to connect Plan-G to FS and then have another button that will hide/show the user aircraft? In this way, the user aircraft could be hidden but the trails would be available for later viewing to check for navigation accuracy/errors.  You could also 'show' the user aircraft when in/near CAS and then 'hide' it later.

tim arnot

You can show/hide the aircraft in options. Provided you have trail logging enabled, it should still be recorded.

Tim. @TimArnot

davebelsey

Tim,

If using a flight plan, would it possible to have range rings drawn automatically for the next waypoint or airfield on the plan (and removed from the previous) ?

Dave.

tim arnot

To what purpose? Plan-G already displays the distance to the next waypoint. I'm not sure what the benefit of drawing a 20 mile (say) ring around it is.

Tim. @TimArnot

John Lygo

Quote from: tim arnot on February 09, 2010, 04:52:44 PM
You can show/hide the aircraft in options. Provided you have trail logging enabled, it should still be recorded.

Doh! Thanks Tim. I have RTFM but forgot about that bit. Cheers. :)

davebelsey

Tim,
QuoteTo what purpose?
I run Plan G on a second monitor, and often change the zoom level.  I use the range rings to indicate proximity of the next touch-and-go.  This entails constantly moving the mouse between the 2 screens, locating the next waypoint (which may be off-screen), then placing the range rings at the new location, hovering for the runway info, and then return the mouse to the other monitor to get focus (and sound) back to FSX.

Just laziness, really, but it would certainly cut down the workload   :)

Dave.

tim arnot

Or you could just read the distance & time remaining from the status bar or GPS panel...

Tim. @TimArnot

chelseaboy

is it possible to have the transmission range of the NDB/VORs added as in FSNAV, or have I missed something.

tim arnot

I can put that on the list.  :)

Tim. @TimArnot

chelseaboy

Thanks Tim, I think that would pull me away from FSNav to Plan -G.

Thomas Hawk

Tim,

I must admit that I agree with your responses to many of these wish list items. The old addage "Plan the flight and fly the plan!" comes to mind instantly. Put in the work before you leave the ground and you will be better prepared for elevation changes, distance calculations, etc. while in the air. Use the stopwatch in the cockpit and always know where you are...look out the window if you are in doubt.  :o

That said, FS provides only the basics of sectional chart functionality. I do depend on external tools for providing this essential information while in the air. Plan-G fills this role superbly as it is! Yes, I do need to understand, for example, altitude changes during my flight. I identify these during the planning phase of pre-flight. Thus, if I stay on track, I know what to expect. Now, if I am off track - and worse, if it becomes IFR conditions, I require a sectional chart to provide that information so I DON'T run into a mountain.  :-[  Using Plan-G during the flight to fill the gap of hard-copy local sectional charts is essential.

Keep up the great work, Tim, and I look forward to the next release of viable wish list items.
Thomas Hawk
FSX / Win7 64-bit / Intel i7 2.93MHz Quad-core / 6GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce GTS 240