News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

You might just be a pilot if...

Started by tim arnot, February 14, 2010, 12:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim arnot

If while accelerating down the highway you pass 60mph and try to gently pull back on the steering wheel...

If while starting your car you yell "Clear!" before turning the key...

If you get out of your car and look for tie down ropes ....

You get in your car and can't figure out how to start it because there's not enough switches, dials and knobs.

You start your car in the morning and tune in your favorite radio station, expecting to pick up the local ATIS and get your clearance to drive to work.

You've swung the compass in your car at least once.

Navigation and refueling stops are based on time enroute, not distance.

If, while cruising down the Highway, your wife or girlfriend announces the need for a "potty break" and you reach into the back seat and produce the red "Lil' John" (complete with the "Lady J" adapter) and hand it to her... YOU MIGHT BE A PILOT...(a dead one...but a pilot...)

You are driving and hit a patch of fog, and you start looking for the AI....

When you get home at night and walk into the house, you throw your credit card on the counter and tell your wife "that's 1.5 hobbs"

If 15 percent of your responses are, "Roger" or "Wilco", and another 25 percent of your responses to your wife are, "Unable". You might be an instrument pilot.

If you immediately look to the sky when you depart your car or house to check for cloud heights and weather, ...

If you have more airport weather hotlines programmed into your cell phone than people.....

You can identify the type, manufacturer and model number of every GA aircraft that you see in the air but don't have a clue what kind of cars your neighbours drive.

You can see the runway VASI lights from an overpass on the way to the airport, and you panic and pull up because all you see is red.

If, while out on a drive, you nearly have an accident because you were too busy pointing out the nearby VOR to your wife (despite having done so at least 20 times in the past)..

If you count your life in 6 minute increments (think Hobbs...)

If you have ever laid awake at night worrying about loosing your medical...

If you start your car, rev the engine to 1700 try to check the mags and apply full heater to check for rpm loss....

Tim. @TimArnot

Hotspot

1960 (AD) - the aero club in Oz at which I was learning to fly was still using DH82's, but should a member commit the faux pas of wearing his fur lined boots into the clubhouse one of the old hands would invariably ask "Do you fly, Mister?" with suitably raised eyebrows.  ;)

After joining the aviation fraternity in order to earn a crust, when visiting the home farm on holidays I was brought down to earth by my siblings  falling about laughing when a 'say again' or 'wait one' slipped out.  ::)

MarkB

You have VASI lights installed on your driveway.

vh-ugw

I have centrelines drawn on my driveway ;D
Regards,

Greg

silverfox

I put white lighting down my drivway on one side but my wife made me stop before I got the other side done.  Never did get the center line down.  Never thought of VASI.

tim arnot

One of the decals available for the roof of my Mini is a helicopter landing pad. I was sorely tempted, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm frequently parked at the airfield, quite close to where the helicopters land for fuel. And I could just imagine what would happen....  ::)

"Dear insurance adjuster,
My car has a helipad symbol painted on the roof, and while I was parked at the airport, a helicopter kinda landed on it..."

Tim. @TimArnot

exgringo

My first car with a sun roof and I hit the button to close it. My wife still rags me for my "Canopy coming closed" gaffe.
But hey! It really did have that "feel" to it :)