News:

Thou shalt confirm thine airspeed on final, lest the earth rise up and smite thee. (pre-landing checklist, v1)

Main Menu

Fictional add-on airports do not appear

Started by jschall, September 15, 2009, 01:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jschall

I have many fictional add-on airports that do appear in the FSX database but not in the Plan-G database.

For example, yesterday I added Lewisporte, Newfoundland:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=22623

in order to practice my short-field landings in the A2A Cub. After adding it in the FSX Scenery Settings, FSX can "see" it and I can move my Cub to CYLE, and even (Heaven forbid!) use the FSX Flight Planner to create a flight plan from there.

But, while Plan-G properly locates my aircraft when I connect to FSX, I cannot "Find" CYLE in the Plan-G database, and there is no airport icon on the Plan-G map. I did have Plan-G re-scan the FSX database.

Of course, I can add a User Waypoint as an airport, including the elevation, but not the rest of the fictional airport details like runways and parking.

Is this a fixed limitation of Plan-G in that it cannot dig deeper into the FSX scenery database?

Is it a matter of my improper installation of CYLE in FSX? (I simply placed the Lewisporte folder into the Addon Scenery directory and "Add"ed it at the top of the Area list).

- Jeff
FSX SP2, Windows 7, AMD FX-62, Nvidia GTX550ti

tim arnot

It should find them You might need to send me a copy of the bgls so I can find out why it doesn't...

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Quote from: tim arnot on September 15, 2009, 01:43:30 PM
It should find them You might need to send me a copy of the bgls so I can find out why it doesn't...

Thanks, Tim. Here is the zipped package. I placed it as ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Lewisporte\scenery.

As I said, there are a few others like Lewisporte in my Addon Scenery that are not found by Plan-G.

Any other Plan-G users with this problem?

- Jeff

TangoEcho

Tom

alexf

As a new user I'll be following this discussion with interest. I just downloaded and applied the patch.

My question was what happens when new sceneries are added. Do they appear automagically? Do I have to rebuild the FSX database (I assume) as in FSX itself?
Sorry if this has been asked before, as a newbie question.

Cheers!

Alex

tim arnot

When you add new sceneries, you'll need to rebuild the Plan-G database for them to be included.

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Quote from: TangoEcho on September 15, 2009, 08:27:44 PM
No problem here, found it OK.

Hi, Tom.

Did you place the Lewisporte folder where I did - i.e., ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Lewisporte?
Did you re-scan FSX in Plan-G?
And Plan-G can "Find" CYLE?

I wonder why my Plan-G can't find fictional airports...

- Jeff

alexf

Quote from: tim arnot on September 15, 2009, 09:59:13 PM
When you add new sceneries, you'll need to rebuild the Plan-G database for them to be included.

Thanks. Works the way I expected then.

tim arnot

About 50 miles NW of Gander Newfoundland. 500metres dirt 18/36 and 600metres water. I copied the files directly into my Addon Scenery\Scenery folderm and it found them no problem. So I'm wondering if you've got them added correctly into the library? (You should see the Lewisporte folder listed in the logfile as is scans through the scenery.cfg. It'll be near the top of the lisr (before it starts through the 0101... 0102... etc)

But Hmmm... water runway "44/38"... looks wrong to me!  Will need to investigate that...

Tim. @TimArnot

TangoEcho

Jeff,

1. Lewisporte is on a separate Addon Scenery drive with everything else.

2. Re-scan is essential.

3. That is what I said.

4. and what Tim said about adding to your scenery library.

Tom

jschall

Quote from: jschall on September 15, 2009, 10:36:02 PM
I wonder why my Plan-G can't find fictional airports...

Now, I know why.

As I said in an earlier post, I had installed the folder "Lewisporte" in ...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery. That was fine as far as FSX was concerned - FSX rebuilt its scenery database and I could move my Cub to CYLE no problem. But even following a re-scan, Plan-G could not find it.

Yesterday, Tim wrote:
"I copied the files directly into my Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and it found them no problem."

Waitaminnit! Tim copied all the .bgl files from the "Lewisporte\scenery" folder into the "...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery" folder. That didn't sound kosher, but I decided to do the same, and - BINGO! Following another re-scan, Plan-G can finally find Lewisporte.

I still maintain that my original location for the Lewisporte scenery is the "normal" one for FSX addon scenery. So why does Plan-G only check in the "\Addon Scenery\Scenery" folder? Or does Plan-G only read the scenery.cfg file?

Curiouser and curiouser...

- Jeff

tim arnot

Plan-G only reads the scenery.cfg file - it doesn't go off looking in other places on its own initiative, since if they're not in the cfg, they are not in FS.

Just copying the folder into Addon Scenery won't install it into FS - I have lots of folders copied there that aren't active in FS, and deliberately so. If your FS scanned and showed the scenery, that suggests that it didn't save the new cfg on exit for some reason...

Tim. @TimArnot

jschall

Thanks, Tim. I just checked, and I have multiple copies of "scenery.cfg" and "Scenery.CFG", in both "Documents and Settings\all users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX" and "Documents and Settings\Jeff\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX". Only the one in "All Users" is getting updated with recent add-ons, for some reason.

Where does Plan-G look for "scenery.cfg"? Only in <username>? Will it find "Scenery.CFG", too?

- Jeff

TangoEcho

Quote from: jschall on September 16, 2009, 01:33:47 PM
Thanks, Tim. I just checked, and I have multiple copies of "scenery.cfg" and "Scenery.CFG", in both "Documents and Settings\all users\Application Data\FSX" and "Documents and Settings\Jeff\Application Data\FSX". Only the one in "All Users" is getting updated with recent add-ons.

Where does Plan-G look for "scenery.cfg"? Only in <username>? Will it find "Scenery.CFG", too?

- Jeff
Tom

tim arnot

The path it's using for the scenery.cfg should be in the log file.

By default, it uses the path "Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData", which should correctly map to the "All Users" folder, regardless of whether you are using XP, Vista or Win7. This can be overridden by specifying a path to Scenery.cfg in the Options dialog.

Tim. @TimArnot