News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Unable to start program - windows error results

Started by acurnow, March 17, 2010, 07:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acurnow

Hi there!
I thought it was finally time I gave this program a try, and today downloaded the latest version.
Extracted to c:/program files/ in a new folder.
Double click the yellow exe icon thing
And instantly get a windows failure error pictured here:

I am running Win XP Home 32bit - and have .net 3.5 SP1 installed.

I've tried running it with and without FS9 running (not sure if it needs flightsim or not) and I've not been able to build any database as I've not been able to get it running.

Any suggestions?

I've tried downloading a "repair" install of .net 3.5, but not having any luck, the internet is pretty unreliable where I am and the download didn't work today (kept resetting back to zero after getting 3mb or so into it - but then, this is not your problem!) :)

Cheers

tim arnot

The normal reason for it crashing on startup is not having DotNet 3.5 SP1 installed. Have a look see if it's crreated a log file ("Plan-G_Log.txt"); that might help shed some light on what's happening.

Other things to check: AntiVirus, firewalls etc. Also try moving it out from Program Files -- it is never recommended to install it there.

Tim. @TimArnot

acurnow

Thanks Tim,
I've tried moving it to D:/ hard drive, no luck.
I use Avast antivirus - I've turned off the "on access protection" no luck

I guess that points to .net framework, so I'll try my luck downloading it overnight.
Unfortunately since it's not started yet your program hasn't created a log file :)
I'll get back to you if a dotnet repair works.
Thanks for your speedy reply,

Alister

acurnow

tim arnot

Is there anything in the Windows Application log? That might at least narrow it down to the particular DLL/module...

Tim. @TimArnot

acurnow

Hi again Tim
The error "source" in the event viewer is ".NET Runtime 2.0 error reporting"

Description:
Faulting application plan-g.exe, version 0.9.1.423, stamp 4b66e4b8, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, stamp 49c4f482, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012afb.

I guess that means I will need to uninstall all dotnet off my computer and try and install it all again? It's a fairly new install of windows, less than a year old :)

acurnow

It's obviously got to be a problem with my computer (as this works fine for others)
I now notice on that second picture of mine above, that I cannot uninstall that 3.5SP1 hotfix (as it says it is not installed) and no option to uninstall 3.5 SP1 either. I've uninstalled 3.5 itself so far, and trying to reinstall it, but not getting any connection to the download server.
So that's the likely cure for the moment.
Cheers

Update: Full uninstall and reinstall of all the .net stuff has solved my problem, your program is now working just fine and I can begin to learn to use it. Cheers!

tim arnot

Escellent - glad you have it working now.  :)

Tim. @TimArnot