News:

Buying something from Amazon? Please consider using my affiliate links - Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk - You get your stuff, Plan-G gets a little boost :)   

Main Menu

Only partial link from 2nd PC

Started by jonahbird, April 06, 2010, 08:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonahbird

I have used FSCommander for a long time, but was alerted to the existence of Plan-G when reading another forum.  I downloaded, installed and liked what I saw.  But I have only achieved partial linkage so far, through FSUIPC4.  The problem seems to be SimConnect.  The database install buttons both appear faint and nothing happens when I try to build the FSX database.  When I fly I do see the yellow icon which follows my course and I see red icons for AI aircraft, but nothing else. Each version of the map can be called up.

When I installed FSX Gold, I can't recall doing anything specific to install SimConnect, which appears not to be on my main 'flying' PC: I don't have SimConnect.xml in the AppData/Roaming etc folder where FSX.cfg resides.

Reading Section 11 of the manual it appears that all I need to do is write an XML file into that folder for it to work with Tim Gregson's special SimConnect client.  Is that correct?

tim arnot

You are seeing the yellow aeroplane, so you are connected. There is no "partial" - either you're connected or you aren't. The reason you can't see any airports, navaids etc, is because you haven't built the database. If both buttons are inactive, it means Plan-G can't find your FS installation (maybe you are connecting across a LAN?). You will need to tell it where to find FS in this case. There are instructions to do this in the manual. Sorry I can't point you at the page/section, but I'm not at home right now, and don't have access to it.

Tim. @TimArnot

jonahbird

Thanks, Tim. My computers are linked through the router, I believe. (It's a long time since I looked at the cable linkage!)  What you say makes sense against what I am seeing.  Although the data buttons do not seem to be live I have had a 'can't see...check your protocol message' after one or two of my attempts.

I'll have another read of the manual.

BTW did we communicate about Enstone in the past.  I did some trial work for the developer - screenshots ,etc (I am afraid the grey cells aren't working as well as they used to - must be my 77 years!)

Frank

tim arnot

When you are on a LAN, it's often easiest to install on the FS PC (or a memory stick), and build the database, then transfer the whole thing across to the other PC.

Tim. @TimArnot

jonahbird

Thanks again.  I did think about that, but as you've confirmed it wasn't a daft idea I'll give it a go.

Frank

jonahbird

Hi Tim

You were right (of course): I had failed to tell it where to find FSX and scenery.cfg.  So, it's now looking good.  I continue to be very impressed.

I have next to make a flight plan and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help.
Frank